Phone Roaming State is Incorrect, WM 6.5 RRS feed

• Question

• Myself and several other users of Windows Mobile phones on the Bell and Telus Networks (Canadian HSPA Carriers since Nov. 2009) have an issue where our phones mistakenly think they are roaming all the time. So far no one has been able to make any progress on this issue.

Here's an illustration of the problem:

Quote:
    Fuze

Situation 1 BAD
    unlocked AT&T Fuze with Bell Mobility SIM card connected to the Bell Mobility network = Roaming.

Situation 2 GOOD
    Same unlocked AT&T Fuze with Rogers SIM card connected to the Rogers network = NOT Roaming.

Omnia II

Situation 3 GOOD
    Bell branded Omnia II (Also Windows Mobile) with Bell Mobility SIM card connected to the Bell Mobility network = NOT Roaming.

Tilt 2

Situation 4 BAD
    Unlocked AT&T Tilt 2 with Bell Mobility SIM card connected to the Bell Mobility network = Roaming.

Situation 5 GOOD
    Same unlocked AT&T Tilt 2 with Rogers SIM card connected to the Rogers network = NOT Roaming.

Situations 1 and 4 can also be repeated with a Telus SIM card connected to the Telus network.

I'm hoping that a developer here may posses enough knowledge of WM mechanics to have some insight of where the problem lays and what can be done to correct it.

What conditions need to be met for a windows mobile phone to think that it is roaming?

I'm not even sure where the issue lays.

Is it with the hardware/firmware?

SIM card?

Windows Mobile?

Is it the rilphone.dll?

The radio?

Some obscure registry entry?

Maybe it's on the Bell network side?

Some unholy combination of above factors?

Bell has one official windows mobile phone in their HSPA lineup, the Samsung Omnia 2. When you take the same Bell SIM card out of the always roaming Fuze, and put it into the Omnia 2, it correctly shows NO roaming icon.

So what might the Omnia 2 have that allows it show correctly determin its roaming state?

Could it be related to the fact that Bell and Telus share a Network?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Network_Code#C

My Bell MCCMNC is 302-610, while when I scan for networks it shows that I connect to the shared network 302-880. If it is the case, how does the OMNIA II overcome this?

When I check the registry with my Bell SIM inserted into my Fuze, the following entry is empty:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ControlPanel\PhoneExtendFunction :MCCMNC

I tried to change value to 302880, but value was reset to 0 after soft-reset! of course roaming icon is still showing...

If I put an AT&T SIM into the Fuze, that registry entry changes to 310410, which is AT&T's MCCMNC.

Could this be the problem? Why is it doing this? Any way to prevent the key from reverting?

I've tried changing the radio of the phone, several different ROMs including stock ROMs, windows mobile 6.1 or 6.5 makes no difference. 

here's a thread created on XDA a couple weeks back with no resolution:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=782208

Thank you!

Monday, October 4, 2010 1:37 AM

Answers

• The RIL is what you're looking for. Here is a link to an overview of the architecture: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa919462.aspx

Device manufacturers go through a carrier certification process before their phones are sold for a network. If you're using a phone designed for one network on one it was not certified for, this is the risk you take. As you found out, you're unlikely to get any help from HTC or the network provider.

I don't want to discourage you from trying, but fixing this with a hex editor is extremely unlikely. If you do manage it, please post a walk-through of what you did. I'd be fascinated to read it.

-PaulH

Edit:

You asked in your first post about registry entries. For your amusement, here is a list of registry entries that are used by the RIL: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa919118.aspx

• Marked as answer by warrentang Friday, October 8, 2010 7:07 AM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:13 PM

All replies

• Any Ideas?

Is there a better forum to pose this question?

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 10:00 PM
  • You need to contact the manufacturers for support on such questions, as it is related to implementation details. Besides I don't think you can get much from a forum, you'd better ask for techinical support or alike.
    Please mark the post that helps you, and unmark that does not. This benefits our community.
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 3:42 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I already tried contacting the manufacturer (HTC) but they couldn't provide any insight.

Here's the response from HTC:

Dear ***************,

I can certainly understand your frustration and I would be more then happy to assist you today. I understand that you have an unlocked AT&T Tilt that is being used with either a Telus sim or a Bell sim and you have a roaming icon on the phone. I can see how that could be somewhat annoying unfortunately, you are using an AT&T phone on another carrier so things could potentially not work correctly. I am unable to send any type of DLL file or any other software to change how the software on your phone works. The Bell Mobility network works on HSPA 850/1900 MHz, Telus GSM network operates on the frequencies of 850/1900 MHz and those are all the same as AT&T. In theory it should work however, I believe, that somewhere along the way the network is reflecting some sort of roaming status. Most likely due to that the HSPA 850/1900 MHz network was constructed as a combined effort of both Telus and Bell in Canada. This would explain why you are experiencing the same roaming issue on both carriers.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number .

Sincerely,

Kacey

HTC

I'm wondering at what level does the phone determine that it is roaming or not? Which element of the phone is responsible for this? Is it the the radio? 

Maybe if the responsible module is located, I or someone else could take a hex editor to it and attempt to fix it.

Thank you

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 5:44 PM
  • The RIL is what you're looking for. Here is a link to an overview of the architecture: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa919462.aspx

Device manufacturers go through a carrier certification process before their phones are sold for a network. If you're using a phone designed for one network on one it was not certified for, this is the risk you take. As you found out, you're unlikely to get any help from HTC or the network provider.

I don't want to discourage you from trying, but fixing this with a hex editor is extremely unlikely. If you do manage it, please post a walk-through of what you did. I'd be fascinated to read it.

-PaulH

Edit:

You asked in your first post about registry entries. For your amusement, here is a list of registry entries that are used by the RIL: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa919118.aspx

• Marked as answer by warrentang Friday, October 8, 2010 7:07 AM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 10:13 PM