MSPointerMove behavior

Question

• Hello,

I wonder if MSPointerMove event does not work well in 'Touch Events Sample'.
    Mouse move event is fired normally, but Touch move event seems not to be fired.

I tried the following steps:

- Launch 'Touch Events Sample' and Select '1)Pointer Events'.

- Touch the bottom-right box.
    (the results of MSPointerOver and MSPointerDown is displayed in output area.)

- Keep touching and move my finger.
    (I expected that the result of MSPointerMove event to be displayed in the bottom-left output area, but it didn't.)

The same kind of issue occurs in my test data, so I would like to know if this behavior is a feature or not.

Thank you,

_Y_O

Wednesday, February 1, 2012 7:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Y,

That sample does not handle the MSPointerMove event well.  A better sample for you is the Canvas Paint sample.  It does not suffer from the problems with the other sample:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Input-DOM-pointer-and-2e5697ed

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Hello Jeff,

I compared Touch Events sample to Canvas Paint sample, but there are no difference in the way of watching Move event between them.
    Both of them get target element by using getElementById, and then add event listener by using addEventListener function.

I tried various ways in my test data, and found that Touch move event is not fired under some kind of situations as below:

- When the target DIV element's -ms-content-zooming parameter is set to 'zoom'.
    - When the target DIV element's overflow parameter is set to 'auto' or 'scroll'.

I guess that touch move event seems to be prevented if the target element has some CSS parameters relate to user touch action(like zoom or scroll).

*Also in Canvas Paint sample, Touch move event did not be fired when I add a DIV element as the parent of main canvas, and then set -ms-content-zooming parameter to 'zoom'.

What I would like to do is to watch user's finger position on the zoomable DIV element.
    Is there some way to do this?

Thank you,

_Y_O

Friday, February 3, 2012 4:14 AM
  • Can someone help me how to get MSPointerMove event on the DIV element that has "-ms-content-zooming:zoom" parameter?

Thank you,

_Y_O

Friday, February 10, 2012 1:14 AM
  • Your link is not working. It says the project isn't published yet.
    Why MICROSOFT CANT make a damn simple TOUCH EVENT work like ANY OTHER COMPANY such as Apple, and Google which uses the NORMAL and STANDARD touch and those never fail.

Now a simple 1 line of code WORKS ONLY their way. And we have spend days trying to figure out what microsoft changed.

a Simple MOVE event fires only in their world cause in the REAL WORLD where you are free to code with javascript on the web the way we want it DOESNT WORK AT ALL. It's INSANE. It's a simple event MOVE.. shouldn't be so complicated for a normal size brain to provide this event like apple and google. Looks like Microsoft's HR should be fired.

Friday, March 16, 2012 10:15 PM
  • Hi Alan,

Thanks for the feedback on the link.  The post was from pre-Consumer Preview so they have changed.  You can find samples by going to the sample page and typing in the keywords.  Here is the sample and I updated the link above too!

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Input-DOM-pointer-and-2e5697ed

-Jeff

Jeff Sanders (MSFT)

Wednesday, March 21, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Maybe you can try to add a css style '-ms-touch-action:none' to the element which bind the 'MSPointerMove' event.
    • Edited by dail2009 Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:37 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 8:36 AM