MSDE upgrade to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to upgrade MSDE 2000 to MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (Build 9.00.3042.0) using a silent install.

MSDE on our systems is installed as a standalone product. There is only a single default instance (MSSQLSERVER) running on the system. SQL Authentication mode is being used.

When I try and upgrade MSDE 2000 directly to MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2, the install fails with an error:

"SQL Server Setup Cannot Upgrade the specified instance by using SQL Server Credential.  You must use Windows Authentication credential for the upgrade"

When I try to upgrade the default instance of MSDE to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 selecting Windows authentication (logging in as a domain/local administrator to the server), the install fails with an error:

"Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user <mydomain>\<AdminID>"

However, MSDE 2000 upgrade to an earlier version of MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (Build 9.00.1399.6) using SA Authentication works successfully without any errors.

So I tried to upgrade our MSDE installation to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (Build 9.00.3042.0) as a 2 step process. First by upgrading MSDE to SQL Server 2005 (Build 9.00.1399.6) using SA Authentication which works successfully as mentioned earlier.

However, when I try and upgrade SQL Server 2005 (Build 9.00.1399.6) to SQL Server 2005 SP2 (Build 9.00.3042.0) using SA Authentication, I receive the same error as before:

"SQL Server Setup Cannot Upgrade the specified instance by using SQL Server Credential.  You must use Windows Authentication credential for the upgrade"

When I upgrade using Windows Authentication, the setup displays the following error:

"[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Password validation failed. The password does not meet the requirements of the password filter DLL.. To continue, correct the problem, and then run SQL Server Setup again"

The log file content for the error is:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------SQL_ERROR (-1) in OdbcStatement::execute_batch
    sqlstate=01000, level=0, state=1, native_error=0, msg=[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Signing sps ...
    sqlstate=42000, level=16, state=1, native_error=15119, msg=[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Password validation failed. The password does not meet the requirements of the password filter DLL.
    sqlstate=HY000, level=0, state=0, native_error=0, msg=[Microsoft][SQL Native Client]Unspecified error occurred on SQL Server. Connection may have been terminated by the server.
    sqlstate=42000, level=16, state=2, native_error=2745, msg=[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Process ID 51 has raised user error 50000, severity 20. SQL Server is terminating this process.
    sqlstate=HY000, level=20, state=127, native_error=50000, msg=[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Cannot create ##MS_AgentSigningCertificate## in msdb. INSTMSDB.SQL terminating.

Error Code: 15119
    MSI (s) (08!80) [10:56:13:133]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding SqlUpgradeMessage property. Its value is 'SQL Server Setup has encountered the following problem: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Password validation failed. The password does not meet the requirements of the password filter DLL.. To continue, correct the problem, and then run SQL Server Setup again.'.
    SQL Server Setup has encountered the following problem:
    Failed to execute the Transact-SQL statement:
    /**************************************************************/
    /* Sign agent sps and ...
    Script file: sqlagent90_msdb_upgrade.sql
    The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Password validation failed. The password does not meet the requirements of the password filter DLL.. To continue, correct the problem, and then run SQL Server Setup again.
    SQL_ERROR (-1) in OdbcHandle::release
    sqlstate=HY010, level=-1, state=-1, native_error=0, msg=[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Function sequence error

sqlstate=HY010, level=-1, state=-1, native_error=0, msg=[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Function sequence error

Error Code: 0x80073b0f (15119)
    Windows Error Text:   Source File Name: lib\odbc_statement.h
    Compiler Timestamp: Wed Jun 14 16:28:15 2006
         Function Name: OdbcStatement::execute_batch@sqlagent90_msdb_upgrade.sql@967
    Source Line Number: 91

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The registry entries suggest that the version now is 9.00.3042.0. However, I am not sure if the upgrade was successful. I can connect to the database using the old SA user ID and password.

If anyone else has faced similar issues, please let me know the workaround for the same.

Thanks and Regards,

Sahil Girotra

Wednesday, September 26, 2007 2:24 PM

Answers

• I guess we have been able to figure out the cause of the problem (atleast part of the problem) and have been able to successfully perform the upgrade of MSDE 2000 to MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.

- I guess the feature to upgrade MSDE 2000 to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 is not available (atleast thats what I figured out with the error message)

- Upgrade using Windows Authentication required two steps:

- Granting logon permissions to 'BUILTIN\Administrators' group on our database using the command "sp_grantlogin 'BUILTIN\Administrators' ". This resolves the error message "Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user <mydomain>\<AdminID>"

- Disabling PASSFILT.DLL by renaming the file C:\WINNT\System32\PASSFILT.DLL (and rebooting the server to unload the DLL from the memory. Once the DLL is unloaded from the memory, the install runs successfully and that resolves the error "[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Password validation failed. The password does not meet the requirements of the password filter DLL.. To continue, correct the problem, and then run SQL Server Setup again".

After the install ran successfully, we rename the PASSFILT.DLL and reboot the servers again so the DLL gets loaded again.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sahil Girotra

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:13 PM

All replies

• I guess we have been able to figure out the cause of the problem (atleast part of the problem) and have been able to successfully perform the upgrade of MSDE 2000 to MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.

- I guess the feature to upgrade MSDE 2000 to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 is not available (atleast thats what I figured out with the error message)

- Granting logon permissions to 'BUILTIN\Administrators' group on our database using the command "sp_grantlogin 'BUILTIN\Administrators' ". This resolves the error message "Server Setup could not connect to the database service for server configuration. The error was: [Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Login failed for user <mydomain>\<AdminID>"

- Disabling PASSFILT.DLL by renaming the file C:\WINNT\System32\PASSFILT.DLL (and rebooting the server to unload the DLL from the memory. Once the DLL is unloaded from the memory, the install runs successfully and that resolves the error "[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Password validation failed. The password does not meet the requirements of the password filter DLL.. To continue, correct the problem, and then run SQL Server Setup again".

After the install ran successfully, we rename the PASSFILT.DLL and reboot the servers again so the DLL gets loaded again.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sahil Girotra

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:13 PM
  •  Sahil Girotra wrote:

I guess we have been able to figure out the cause of the problem (atleast part of the problem) and have been able to successfully perform the upgrade of MSDE 2000 to MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sahil Girotra

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 12:37 PM