What am I doing wrong here? Using alert, I get a value, but trying to set the following to a variable I get an error RRS feed

• Question

• User-858993849 posted

Using the following, the alert works, but setting e to it as a variable give me an error that "option" is undefined.

alert($('select[id$="ddlFileNames"] option:selected').text());
    var e = fileName = $('select[id$="ddlFileNames"] option:selected').text();

What am I doing wrong?

Friday, October 2, 2015 6:21 PM

Answers

• User281315223 posted

What does your markup for this look like? It might make it a bit easier to determine the best selector to use in your scenario.

Have you tried setting it to a single variable like the following :

var fileName = $('select[id$="ddlFileNames"] option:selected').text();

The code that you are using also assumes that there is a selected value, so you would need to make sure that one exists (as otherwise, I suppose you could get a null reference type error like the one you are receiving).

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 9:22 PM

All replies

• User281315223 posted

What does your markup for this look like? It might make it a bit easier to determine the best selector to use in your scenario.

Have you tried setting it to a single variable like the following :

var fileName = $('select[id$="ddlFileNames"] option:selected').text();

The code that you are using also assumes that there is a selected value, so you would need to make sure that one exists (as otherwise, I suppose you could get a null reference type error like the one you are receiving).

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, October 2, 2015 9:22 PM
  • User-858993849 posted

Hi Rion, I know I can always count on you!  The error was actually coming from somewhere else where I had the same code.  Thanks again for your help.

Saturday, October 3, 2015 9:20 AM