Connecting to a Bluetooth SPP device

Question

• I'm looking for a way to connect to a Bluetooth SPP (serial port protocol) device from inside a Metro application.  I've managed to pair up with my device using the system tools, but I haven't found any way to open a communications channel with the device from inside my demo C# application.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Friday, May 18, 2012 8:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• Daniel,

I will look into this for you.

Best Wishes - Eric

Friday, May 18, 2012 10:07 PM
  • Daniel,

This scenario is not supported from a Metro style app.

Best Wishes - Eric

Saturday, May 26, 2012 5:43 AM
  • I'm currently developing applications in WM, with printing functionalities, through BT SPP services.

Please let me understand exactly. You say "This scenario is not supported from a Metro style app.". But is it supported in another type of app in WP8 ?

So, in fact, I wanted to ask : is it possible to connect to a device with BT SPP in WinPhone8? (the current version - who knows, maybe later will be available).

Thank you very much!

Mihai

Wednesday, October 03, 2012 8:13 AM
  • It is supported from a Desktop app.
    Wednesday, October 03, 2012 4:43 PM
  • It really supported from a Windows 8 desktop app?

http://wmpoweruser.com/windows-8-bluetooth-stack-pass-through-certification/

Check the comment & SIG report.

Tuesday, October 09, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Eric,

I find your answer to be too short and not as complete as customers wish to see. I would like to know if you provide this feedback to MSFT developers. This feature is very important to many apps. My roadblock is that I have a new Toyota which has an app called Entune. It is available for IOS, Android and Blackberry. Not for Windows 8 phones. Toyota is the number one seller of vehicles in the US which statistically means every 100,000 new Toyotas will be purchased by about 4,000 Windows 8 phone users. Is this enough incentive for MSFT to get in the game? Please let me know. I have been a loyal Windows fan for three generations of phones but there are compelling apps out there that tie to significant investments like a car that I may need to jump ship to another OS to benefit from.

While I have your attention I am also disappointed that MSFT has not decided to put flash in the IE10 for win 8 phone. If you can't get app developers to flock to your OS, at least give yourself the edge by offering Flash so that the browser fills in some of the gaps for half a million missing apps.

I have had HTC windows mobile 6, Samsung Focus on win 7/7.5 and now Nokia 920 on win 8. There is so much to like, but every day I find another app I would like that does not have a version for windows 8.  A good example is all my local news stations who have apps for IOS. I could use the browser, but then, there is no flash player. Get it?

Friday, December 21, 2012 3:11 PM
  • @Eric "It is supported from a Desktop app."

I assume you're answer is specifically related to Windows 8, and not Windows RT, correct? Since there currently is no legit way for non-MSFT entities to deploy desktop apps for WinRT - correct me if I'm mistaken.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:54 PM
  • @Eric "It is supported from a Desktop app."

I assume you're answer is specifically related to Windows 8, and not Windows RT, correct? Since there currently is no legit way for non-MSFT entities to deploy desktop apps for WinRT - correct me if I'm mistaken.

That is correct.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013 8:56 PM