none
Create a custom view for an outlook folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen that there are some possibilities to customize the existing outlook views, but the possibiites are really two narrow. I managed to modify the view of a folder with tasks to select the fields I want.

BUT

- I need to customize the display of each field more freely, for instance

. A % progress is displayed wit a progress bar
    . The colum stays the same width if the window size is changed
    . moving the mose over the line, displays somme comments in an info bubble
            . overdue task in red or whatever
            . maybe a button to do something with the task without opening an inspector (clos it for instance)

- I need a sepcific specific header with a summary graph on top corresponding to the overall progress status of all
       tasks per status:  35 tasks close, 2 overdue, 5 new, 4 analysis etc

- I absolutely need to remove all the redundant stuff such as menues, ribbons, banners,redunandt regions, arrow etc
      Just a small quiet narrow window, clean graph on to and one line per task open sorted by urgency
      (I'd like to see other stuff on my computer screen than outlook)

- Clicking on the task line will of course  open the task with a suitable form
      (which would be nice to customize more easily than with vb script)

- I need some filtering, of course to avoid seeing finished tasks or the task template in the folder 

What tools do I need for this ? Standard Office Corporate doesn't seem to do it. (Office 2003 did). If Visual Studio with VSTO can do it, I certainly didn't find the means to create my own custom view. Is it impossible without additional plugins?

How do I express what I need to do in the outlook model language? "Create a custom form, with a custom form region on top with the graph and another form region with the custom view below"

R

Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:37 AM

Answers

• You won't be able to do what you want using the Outlook object model or Outlook  user interface. You'd have to create a new UI and somehow overlay it on top of the Outlook interface. I wouldn't even want to try that. I think you need to architect a different solution.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook

Monday, September 16, 2013 2:22 PM