Compact Framework RRS feed

• Question

• Well, I think I already know the answer to this question, but I'm going to ask anyway:

Are there any plans now or in the future to support workflow on the Compact Framework? As I'm sure the team is already aware, CF support would be highly valuable for process automation in refineries, pharmaceuticals, power generation and several other vertical markets.

Monday, October 3, 2005 5:37 AM

Answers

• There are no current plans to support the Compact Framework.  To be honest, this is the first time I've heard the request come up. Smile  Can you share some scenarios in which you would want to run workflows on a device?  

James Conard
    Architect Evangelist - Windows Workflow Foundation
    http://www.WindowsWorkflow.net
    http://blogs.msdn.com/jamescon

Monday, October 3, 2005 6:41 AM

All replies

• There are no current plans to support the Compact Framework.  To be honest, this is the first time I've heard the request come up. Smile  Can you share some scenarios in which you would want to run workflows on a device?  

James Conard
    Architect Evangelist - Windows Workflow Foundation
    http://www.WindowsWorkflow.net
    http://blogs.msdn.com/jamescon

Monday, October 3, 2005 6:41 AM
  • Sure James.

At a recent job, our team was tasked with building a workflow engine for the Compact Framework. Our company dealt with only fortune 500+ and we had several competitors, so I know workflow on a mobile device is a hot topic.

Our product was designed for process management and preemptive risk aversion. Our suite of tools included a desktop application that was used to create what we called Rounds. Rounds were glorified workflows that stepped the user through a series of questions. Each answer was stored as a collected data point. Data points could be included in equations whose results might modify the direction of the workflow.

Once a round had been designed, it was synchronized to a ruggedized Pocket PC. An operator in the field would carry out the round, answering questions using the stylus or an array of input devices like temperature guns and vibration probes. The answers could result in a wide range of activities including taking a note, generating a work order or even branching to a new workflow that would guide the operator through shutting down a piece of equipment. Our product was to ship with several built-in activities, but our SDK also allowed for the development of custom ones.

The mobile product I mention was used in a very wide range of vertical markets from petrol-chemical to power generation and pharmaceuticals. The software carried quite a hefty price tag and multiple man-years went into developing it. If we had had workflow on the Compact Framework and your desktop designer, we could have gotten to market in a fraction of the time. In fact, I know that team is still working on the desktop designer for their mobile framework.

My former employer does not have any documentation on their up-coming product, but I recently found a site with a somewhat similar offering. You can read about it here:

http://www.atrco.com/SmartProcedures/page3.html

Regards,

Jared

Monday, October 3, 2005 10:41 PM
  • This would be really useful for us too. We are developing solutions for warehouse applications, for example picking systems. Workflow works really well for us: so far we have developed our own framework to handle workflow with an XML configuration file. From our experience with the market, it is a particular area where the customer likes to tailor the application to their own site, so it would be much better to design this using the Windows Workflow Foundation.
    Thursday, November 24, 2005 8:49 PM
  • We could also use Workflows on embedded devices.

My company is the biggest manufacturere of analytical devices for pharma, labaratories, foods, retail and industry.

We develope and manufatcure a lot of different analytical and measuremnt devices. Many of them use an embedded windows as their os.

Since processes in all the segments named before highly depends on the customer needs we need to build in more customizing possibilities for out customer. Actually their processes are nothing else then workflows. The idea is that we deliver standard workflows to the customer and they could adapt it to their needs.

A simple workflow pharma lab could look like this.

1. Scan sample id with bar code scanner

2. Initialize balance

3. tell the operator to apply sample on device

4. Close device doors

5. Get weight from device

6. Request comfirmation from operator

7. Send data to host system

8. Open door

This is a very easy workflow... In reality workflows are much more complex, however I just wanted to give an easy sample.

Regards

Yves

Thursday, February 16, 2006 9:11 AM
  • WF on handheld/compact devices would be very useful for my company.  We deploy handheld devices used in military applications and the ability to use workflow to control UI behaviors based on input would be valuable.  We duplicate logic on a desktop version of the software, so it would be great to share the exact same workflow on both types of devices.
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 9:59 PM