Just a general non-technical question to welcome some discussion RRS feed

• General discussion

• Maybe this has been discussed before, but I and wondering what makes C# (or any other language) superior to Visual Basic?  I have personally been programming since the mid-80s where I started with qBASIC (goto statements, line numbers, etc) and evolved over the years and today I still proudly use VB, even with some ASP programming I do.  More and more I see open jobs out there, or contract opportunities, where C# is a must and when I mention VB it is like I am some sort of pariah or leper. What is up with that?  

So it is that C# and others are more technically superior to VB and I might be missing something, or is it that "fan boy" mentality of something like Xbox vs PlayStation?

Brad Allison

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 10:41 AM

All replies

• Hello Brad,

One important factor when debating what makes C# superior to Visual Basic is that Microsoft has always promoted C# over VB.NET and with that much of a push, well I believe that says a lot. Another factor is it’s easier in the world of web development to transition between JavaScript and C# then it is to transition between JavaScript and VB.NET, I know several teams who made their decision to move away from VB.NET with this being one of the deciding factors. Also consider if a developer decides they need Q# or F#, it’s easier to transition from C# then VB.NET. ASP.NET Core, if one is to use this for development Microsoft has announced full support will never be offered for VB.NET.

Even with these things mentioned does not mean VB.NET is not a good choice to use for application development, it simply means that the current choice is C# for the masses.

If a developer has many years left programming, they should seriously consider complimenting their skill set with C#.

In my area the only way for a VB.NET developer to obtain a programming position is to be flexible, have C# in their toolbox because in the past ten or so years I’ve not seen any positions for VB.NET.

In closing, I saw the writings on the wall and moved from VB.NET to C# ten years ago.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmarked them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.

NuGet BaseConnectionLibrary for database connections.

StackOverFlow
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 11:02 AM
  • Karen, and thanks for your response.  Mostly in my career, I have been a 'lone' wolf wearing many hats (SQL DB expert, programmer, sys admin, etc) amongst a handful of companies.  Even though I have worked in IT departments with many employees, the scope of my work mostly has been to automate business processes, create interfaces between disparate systems, convert older PHP sites (or on-prem SP sites) to SharePoint online, etc.  I have used C# in the past but have not learned it well enough yet.  It is like how I took four years of French and one year of Spanish.  My French instruction made learning Spanish that much easier.  Kind of like VB to C# in a way.

And I know it is never too late to learn so perhaps I need to get moving on getting into some online or formal C# training.

Brad

Brad Allison

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 12:07 PM
  • Maybe this has been discussed before, but I and wondering what makes C# (or any other language) superior to Visual Basic? 

Brad Allison

The same as what makes English superior to any other language. (But that's only for those who only can speak English).

Success
    Cor

Tuesday, July 30, 2019 2:12 PM