MSExpense.sdf problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

A few days ago while using Acropolis July CTP on Orcas Beta 1 I noticed an issue with MSExpense.sdf after having installed the Expense sample.

Upon loading the sample for the first time it is listed in the solution explorer with a yellow exclamation triangle.

Upon execution of the app it continuously hangs.

I installed Acropolis August CTP on Orcas Beta 2 and notice the same issue with MSExpense.sdf immediately after installation.

I the built and executed the app and noticed the same hanging behaviour.

After my debug session I found that in RootPart.xaml.cs, in the OnInitialized() handler, I cannot execute past

//Provide login notification
                this.loginCommandValue.Enabled = DataService.IsAuthServiceEnabled;

I am able to step-into past this point, but the app then hangs at

//Retrieve a reference to the expense report collection for this user and publish to the view.
                this.ExpenseReports.Value = this.DataService.GetExpenseReports();

and the value of    this.LoggedIn.Value = null

Can someone please shed some light on what may be happening here.

Many Thanks

Thursday, August 30, 2007 11:14 AM

Answers

• I'll see if I can get to the root of your problem.

First off, the Expense sample from the Acropolis July CTP is not supported on Orcas Beta 2 and may not work.  Likewise, the Expense sample from the August CTP was not tested for backwards compatability on Orcas Beta 1 and also may not work. 

If you're using the July CTP samples, the Expense.sdf file should have come in the zip with the sample.  It should be in the right place with the solution.  If you're using July CTP, check to see if the Expense.sdf is in the Expense\ExpenseClient\Expense directory.  If not, reinstall the samples and try it again. 

If you are using the August CTP samples, you need to run the sqlsetup.bat file before trying to build/run the Expense sample.  If you don't have a sqlsetup.bat in the root of the Expense directory, then you're still using the July samples.  In the August CTP, a missing Expense.sdf is fine because that local database gets created by copying the server database in the event that the local database is missing.

It sounds to me like one of the following issues:

1.  You have some version mismatch where you're looking at the old sample on Orcas Beta 2, or something like that.

2.  You haven't build the server database from the setup script if you're using the August CTP samples.

3.  Your machine isn't allowing the web server to start on port 55555, or your machine isn't allowing the sample to listen on that port.

Hope you find some/all of that helpful.  If you're still stuck, let me know what versions of Orcas, Acropolis, and the samples you have and I'll try to repro your issue.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:24 PM

All replies

• I'll see if I can get to the root of your problem.

First off, the Expense sample from the Acropolis July CTP is not supported on Orcas Beta 2 and may not work.  Likewise, the Expense sample from the August CTP was not tested for backwards compatability on Orcas Beta 1 and also may not work. 

If you're using the July CTP samples, the Expense.sdf file should have come in the zip with the sample.  It should be in the right place with the solution.  If you're using July CTP, check to see if the Expense.sdf is in the Expense\ExpenseClient\Expense directory.  If not, reinstall the samples and try it again. 

If you are using the August CTP samples, you need to run the sqlsetup.bat file before trying to build/run the Expense sample.  If you don't have a sqlsetup.bat in the root of the Expense directory, then you're still using the July samples.  In the August CTP, a missing Expense.sdf is fine because that local database gets created by copying the server database in the event that the local database is missing.

It sounds to me like one of the following issues:

1.  You have some version mismatch where you're looking at the old sample on Orcas Beta 2, or something like that.

2.  You haven't build the server database from the setup script if you're using the August CTP samples.

3.  Your machine isn't allowing the web server to start on port 55555, or your machine isn't allowing the sample to listen on that port.

Hope you find some/all of that helpful.  If you're still stuck, let me know what versions of Orcas, Acropolis, and the samples you have and I'll try to repro your issue.

Thanks!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:24 PM
  • The only part I missed was the execution of   sqlsetup.bat.

The application still builds with 4 warnings re "declared but not used", and the yellow exclamation triangle still appears on MSExpense.sdf in the solution explorer, but the application now executes.

I verified that I am using Orcas Beta 2 and Acropolis August CTP.

Thanks again.

Friday, August 31, 2007 7:45 AM