none
Finish Date Variance custom enterprise field - Project Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create a custom enterprise field to illustrate a finish date variance.  I created the new custom field and used the following as the formula:  [Finish1]-[Finish] where 0.00 equals green and does not equal 0.00 is red.

That did not work.  So I have a new formula ProjDateDiff([Last Finish Date],[Finish],"Standard") where Last Finish Date was created.  It only shows stoplights at the summary level eventhough I have it applied to the task level.

HELP!
    Friday, February 26, 2010 8:49 PM

Answers

• I think that using the ProjDateDiff function was the way to go. Most people measure date differences between baseline and current to find a current variance value. The first thing you do is to make sure that your formula is returning the data you want before converting that to graphical indicators. First get a working formula. Then worry about graphical indicators. Don't foreget that date variances can come as negative numbers (ahead of time) as well.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, March 8, 2010 10:04 PM

All replies

• Hello DHarris2

When working with custom enterprise fields, make sure that the result field you use (ie. Number1 or Date1) and it's data type matches the value that you are comparing.  For example, if the Finish-Finish1 equals 0.00, make sure the resykt field type is number (and not date or string).  THe comparison will then work.

Cheers!

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WHartonComputer.com
    Friday, March 5, 2010 1:23 AM
  • Chances are that you failed to define the graphical indicators correctly. For an Enterprise Task field, you can set these at:

Non-summary Tasks
    Summary Tasks
    Project Summary Task

Each of these can use different criteria and you need to make sure that all are set. The easiest way to define fields like this is to do so in an enterprise project that you open read-only. This way you can test your results and then import the field to the Enterprise when you're done.
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, March 8, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Chances are that you failed to define the graphical indicators correctly. For an Enterprise Task field, you can set these at:

Non-summary Tasks
    Summary Tasks
    Project Summary Task

Each of these can use different criteria and you need to make sure that all are set. The easiest way to define fields like this is to do so in an enterprise project that you open read-only. This way you can test your results and then import the field to the Enterprise when you're done.
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thank you very much for your response.  This is what I have: 

Field name:  Finish Date Change
    Field type:  Number
    Formula:  [Finish1]-[Finish]

Graphical indicators
    Non-Summary Rows
    Test:  equals
    Value:  0.00
    Image: green dot

Test:  does not equal
    Value:  0.00
    Image:  red dot

Project Summary Rows
    inherit criteria from summary rows

Summary Rows
    inherit criteria from summary rows

Do you think my attempt to take the difference of Finish1 and Finish is the culprit since I have it as a data type "number"?
    Monday, March 8, 2010 9:13 PM
  • I think that using the ProjDateDiff function was the way to go. Most people measure date differences between baseline and current to find a current variance value. The first thing you do is to make sure that your formula is returning the data you want before converting that to graphical indicators. First get a working formula. Then worry about graphical indicators. Don't foreget that date variances can come as negative numbers (ahead of time) as well.
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Monday, March 8, 2010 10:04 PM
  • Thank you Gary - I will redo the formula to reflect projdatediff and see if that helps with the error messages received on the Finish1 field.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 5:44 PM
  • I attempted the following formula:

ProjDateDiff([Finish1],[Finish],"Standard")

without using graphic indicators and received the following message:

"The formula contains a syntax error or references an unknown field".

Any thoughts?
    Thursday, March 11, 2010 6:43 PM
  • Any idea how I can get this to work?
    Friday, March 12, 2010 3:48 PM
  • I attempted the following formula:

ProjDateDiff([Finish1],[Finish],"Standard")

without using graphic indicators and received the following message:

"The formula contains a syntax error or references an unknown field".

Any thoughts?

Could you explain it more clearly? I just start to learn it.
    Saturday, August 7, 2010 4:24 AM