none
[MS-RDPEDYC] Can not receive DVC create request for URBDRC, PNPDR... RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

As the title, when I enable the drdynvc channel, my client should receive DVC create request packets include the name "URBDRC", "PNPDR"...

But I just receive the DVC packets include name "ECHO", "Microsoft::Windows::RDS::Video::Control::v08.01"...,

How should I enable the URBDRC or PNPDR channels? or should I set some flag in the "Confirm Active PDU Data
    " packet?

My server: Windows 8 on Windows 2K8 R2 SP1

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Alfred

Friday, August 17, 2012 7:53 AM

Answers

• Hi Alfred.

Since you cite “URBDRC”, which is USB device redirection, my whitepaper “Hitchhiker’s Guide to Debugging RDP protocols: Part 1 [MS-RDPEUSB]” at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/openspecification/archive/2012/05/24/hitchhiker-s-guide-to-debugging-rdp-protocols-part-1-ms-rdpeusb.aspx may be of interest to you.

Can you contact me at “dochelp (at) microsoft (dot) com” and we can work on this together off line?  Specifically, it would be helpful to get a decrypted, uncompressed network trace of your experience to compare with a decrypted, uncompressed network trace of a working environment (which you can obtain from the instructions I cited above or I can send you).

I would like to focus on the URBDRC/[MS-RDPEUSB] part of your issue first, if that is acceptable.

ECHO is a new Echo protocol that shows up when a pre-RDP8 client connects to a RDP8 server.  See [MS-RDPEECO] “Remote Desktop Protocol: Virtual Channel Echo Extension” at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh554873(v=PROT.10).aspx. 

Bryan

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Monday, August 20, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Update to forum...

The issue is that RDP USB redirection on the server side (the system that is the remote RDP target) is not supported in Windows 8 Professional, only Enterprise.

Whereas this feature is supported in W7SP1 Enterprise and Ultimate, there is no Ultimate SKU in W8, leaving Enterprise as the only supported platform.

The client side can be any SKU.

Alfred was testing using Windows 8 Professional, which never opened the URBDRC ([MS-RDPEUSB]) VC. Switching to Enterprise resolved the issue.

We will update [MS-RDPEUSB] 6 "Appendix A: Product Behavior" note <1> "The server-side implementation of this protocol is applicable ..." to be more precise regarding supported SKUs.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Alfred

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Support. A Support Engineer will contact you shortly to assist further.

Thanks.

Tarun Chopra | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Friday, August 17, 2012 3:57 PM
  • Hi Alfred.

Since you cite “URBDRC”, which is USB device redirection, my whitepaper “Hitchhiker’s Guide to Debugging RDP protocols: Part 1 [MS-RDPEUSB]” at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/openspecification/archive/2012/05/24/hitchhiker-s-guide-to-debugging-rdp-protocols-part-1-ms-rdpeusb.aspx may be of interest to you.

Can you contact me at “dochelp (at) microsoft (dot) com” and we can work on this together off line?  Specifically, it would be helpful to get a decrypted, uncompressed network trace of your experience to compare with a decrypted, uncompressed network trace of a working environment (which you can obtain from the instructions I cited above or I can send you).

I would like to focus on the URBDRC/[MS-RDPEUSB] part of your issue first, if that is acceptable.

ECHO is a new Echo protocol that shows up when a pre-RDP8 client connects to a RDP8 server.  See [MS-RDPEECO] “Remote Desktop Protocol: Virtual Channel Echo Extension” at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh554873(v=PROT.10).aspx. 

Bryan

Monday, August 20, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Update to forum...

The issue is that RDP USB redirection on the server side (the system that is the remote RDP target) is not supported in Windows 8 Professional, only Enterprise.

Whereas this feature is supported in W7SP1 Enterprise and Ultimate, there is no Ultimate SKU in W8, leaving Enterprise as the only supported platform.

The client side can be any SKU.

Alfred was testing using Windows 8 Professional, which never opened the URBDRC ([MS-RDPEUSB]) VC. Switching to Enterprise resolved the issue.

We will update [MS-RDPEUSB] 6 "Appendix A: Product Behavior" note <1> "The server-side implementation of this protocol is applicable ..." to be more precise regarding supported SKUs.

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 5:09 PM