none
How to deploy a VSTO Office Add-In with Visual Studio 2012 to Windows 64 bit RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully and deployed my project to a Windows 7 32 bit computer using the steps described in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/cc442767.aspx

However, when I try to do exactly the same thing to a Windows 7 64 bit computer then I find that the VSTO Tools are not recognised as installed and also the registry settings are not created - indeed I am not sure if anything works.

How do I deploy a VSTO solution created in Visual Studio to a Windows 7 64 bit system?

Andrew

Friday, October 11, 2013 3:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks Fei,

I have Visual Studio 2012 and thus a more recent edition of InstallShield  - "2012 Spring Limited Edition for Visual Studio"

Where are the entries you are referring to in Visual Studio 2012.

Thanks

Andrew

Andrew

Monday, October 14, 2013 12:49 PM
  • Fei,

So you are saying that having purchased Visual Studio (around £500 or £1,000 with MSDN), I then have to spend an extra £1,500 to create a setup file - that is madness - surely Microsoft have provided a way to deploy 64 bit applications - click once is no good in a business environment.

I need to deploy this solution into businesses and onto Citrix / Terminal Services - it needs to be deployed to "All Users" and needs to be able to be automatically deployed using sign on scripts, etc. - i.e. how I have deployed various applications to date using Visual Studio and the Microsoft set up files that were available up to Visual Studio 2010.

If what you are saying is correct then I need to go back to old versions of Visual Studio and stop upgrading to new versions of Visual Studio - is that what Microsoft wants everyone to do - surely not!

Andrew

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 4:12 AM
  • So it looks like the alternative to spending £1,500 is to go to WIX - a little bit harder work - but not much and seems to be connected with Microsoft in some way - http://wixtoolset.org/documentation/manual/v3/votive/authoring_first_votive_project.html

Andrew

• Marked as answer by Andrew S UK Saturday, October 26, 2013 8:04 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:09 AM