none
Compare Planned Hours with Actual Hours RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am using Microsoft Project Professional 2013. I am looking to build multiple projects that link the same resources to compare actual hours with planned budget hours. The planned hours are set and our project must adhere to them, therefore the "Work" field should stay constant. I am importing actual hours worked on a task from Timesheets and I do not want the "Work" field to change. Is there a way around this? Setting the task type to "Manually Schedule" or "Automatic Schedule" still changes the "Work" field. I have set a "Baseline1 Work", yet some task hours still seem to auto calculate. I would just like to compare variance between planned and actual hours such as "% Work Complete" "physical % Complete".

Thank you for your assistance.

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 9:50 PM

All replies

• Your planned work is Project's baseline work. Work must always change. A task with 10h work has baseline work=10. Time sheets say it took 12h to complete then Work and actual work will be 12h. Baseline shows original. Hopefully you will have saved the extra 2h on another task!

This is correct behavior and the way everyone expects and wants Project to behave.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:58 AM
  • Thanks for the reply Rod. 

How would I go about setting a formula to show the % complete for actual hours worked to baseline planned hours?

Since we do not need the "Work" field, is it possible to compare everything to baseline work instead of "Work"?

Thank you.

Thursday, September 12, 2013 4:52 PM
  • If you don't track costs with Project, then set the rate for each resource to $1/h then you can use earned value to compare actual hours to baseline hours.

What are you trying to calculate? If its schedule efficiency, try (actual Work+Remaining Work)/Baseline work. A result >1 is good, <1 not so good.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Friday, September 13, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Hi Rod,

I have set a baseline work in hours which I want actual work in hours to be compared against.

I have also set a baseline cost, and assigned rates for all the resources. 

When I view the Earned Value tables, I only see the cost analysis.

How can I view the actual work hours/baseline (budget) hours?

Thank you.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:07 PM
  • Hi,

Create a custom field (number or text) with the formula [Actual Work]/[Baseline Work]

The difference OTOH is there for the taking, it is called Work Variance.

Greetings,

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 5:53 PM
  • Hello Jan,

Is there something I can add to the formula where if [Actual Work]/[Baseline Work]=0, it won't result in "#Error".

I would like it to say "0" instead of error.

Is it possible to have this column show a %?

ie. Actual work =5 hours

Baseline work= 10 hours

Custom %= 50%

Thank you.

Tuesday, October 15, 2013 7:39 PM
  • Cheerio1001,

Sure, put this formula in a custom text field:

Text1=IIf([Baseline Work]=0,"0 %",[Actual Work]/[Baseline Work]*100 & " %")

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 1:50 AM
  • Hello John,

Thank you for the formula, is there any adjustments to show only up to 2 decimal places?.

I am now having trouble with the Text2/Actual hours remaining

I have the formula Text2= [Baseline Work]-[Actual Work]

However, the hours are incorrect.

For example 8 hours baseline-2 hours actual work should 6, but I am getting 360.

Thank you.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 3:18 PM
  • Cheerio1001,

Do you really want that much "precision"? It sounds like overkill to me, but this formula will do it:

format(IIf([Baseline Work]=0,"0 %",[Actual Work]/[Baseline Work]*100 & " %"),"1#.00")

With regard to the formula in Text2, Project stores all time related data in minutes, so the 360 value you are getting is in minutes. Simply add a conversion factor of 60 to your formula and the displayed value will be in hours.

John

Wednesday, October 16, 2013 4:55 PM