What should we do to teach use of our AddIn? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi all;

When someone first uses AutoTag (our Office AddIn), we want to make the initial use/learning experience work as well as possible. The problem we have is that we have sample templates, we have tutorial videos, we have full documentation in a wiki. But most users dive in to using it and ignore all that stuff. And then they hit a problem because they don’t understand how to do some part and get frustrated.

Do you know of a product where it does a great job of walking you through the initial use, and that same approach would improve AutoTag? And/or, do you know someone who could come up with what we should do and how it should be presented?

thanks - dave

ps - At present what we have is:

• When install completes it opens Word, Excel, or PowerPoint with a document we created that explains how to use AutoTag.
    • A "start here" window pops up with links to help (wiki), videos, and all of our sample templates.
    • A "Tip of the Day".

Who will win The International Collegiate Programming Championships?

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 3:23 PM

All replies

• If they don't want to use it, they can rot.

It sounds like you're doing a good spread of stuff. I assume you've covered everything in tooltips (or screentips/supertips, whatever they're called now). I think it's vital to be concise, and only bring the user's attention to features that are more likely than not save them time. Once they have faith it's well written, and a piece of kit that's genuinely going to improve their output quality/work rate, they'll have more time for it, and perhaps then take up the tutorials.

• Edited by JosephFox Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:57 PM
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 10:56 PM
  • Wow.  I worked for 30 plus years trying to get users to use templates, add-ins etc. etc.  It sounds like you have done an excellent job of making resources for them.  We too had tutorials, deskdrops, coaches yadda yadda yadda.  the bottom line is that if users jump in and ignore resources to knowledge there is no a darn thing you can do about it.

There is little you can do for people who get frustrated by their own resistance to learn.

Friday, April 6, 2012 6:05 AM