Mobile programming in visual studio 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• User1027758673 posted

I've been reading some about WML and programming for mobile devices, and it seems like the mobile SDK o the mobile development tools are already integrated since .net framework 2.0 or before.  But still I can't seem to create mobile web forms on visual studio 2005, nor do I have any mobile components in my toolbox.  

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what I have to download in order the be able to create mobile webforms in visual studio 2005?

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 10:34 PM

Answers

• User1146730029 posted

Hi Leima,

You dont need a special project for that (and I dont think one exists). You just need to make sure that you design your page for the small screen. The easiest way to do this is to just reduce the size of the window to approximately the size you expect the phone to have.

I dont know of a way to actually test it on the phone, other than releasing it on a website and browsing to it using the phone. There is a way to connect the phone to a PC and browse just to the PC, but, for the amount of work it will take, it may be worth just releasing it to a password protected prototype website instead.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:07 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

You dont need a special project for that (and I dont think one exists).

Yes you do, if you're targeting older phones (WML). After a long search in another topic, because many links on the Microsoft sites are broken, I found where to download the Mobile Control Toolkit:

<STRIKE>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=F4328333-0FD4-4348-88C0-39D10FB64F0A&displaylang=en</STRIKE>

Oops, wrong link! MMIT seems to be vanished...

Also. read this 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc301739.aspx

Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:51 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

I'm just adding the mobile classes to my webpage so I can use mobile controls, something like

That's correct. Instead of registering the mobile controls on every mobile page, you can also do this once in web.config

<controls>
      <add tagPrefix="mobile" namespace="System.Web.UI.MobileControls" assembly="System.Web.Mobile" />
    </controls>

Also, don't forget to let the page inherit from System.Web.UI.MobileControls.MobilePage instead from System.Web.UI.Page

is it possible to use html inside mobile:Form, like a table or a div for instance, I mean would it work on most mobiles?  

When using the mobile controls, you're targeting old WAP phones etc..., so you can't use HTML. You should create normal ASP.NET pages for modern mobile devices, that have a HTML browser.

Also, I want to include a numeric up/down control on my forms, like the one from ajax, but there isn't one among the mobile controls and I'm guessing ajax can't be used on mobile webpages, I could create one, but is there a way to prevent a postback everything the user clicks up or down?

Again, think about the capabilities if the device that you're targeting with the mobile controls!

Friday, February 19, 2010 9:21 PM
  • User1135281112 posted

Hello Leima

Below is good information for your mobile web development.

Please have a look at http://www.51degrees.mobi/Products/tabid/63/Default.aspx it provides good resources for mobile web development. Following are the details.

1) Mobile Web Control

- Controls to implement google maps, location, adverts, image display, calendar control.
    - Detects and uses the most appropriate markup language for the device

2) .NET API [Mobile Capabilities]

http://www.51degrees.mobi/Products/NETMobileAPI/tabid/86/Default.aspx it is a free ASP.NET mobile api which helps to integrate mobile devices with existing and future web sites. It makes use of WURFL device database which is widely-accepted as the most advanced and up-to-date mobile device database available.

It has add-in for .NET web sites that'll automatically determine if a mobile device is accessing the site and redirect it to mobile specific content. You do not have to update any of your existing asp.net pages for same.

Once integrated into a web site, the API will parse device data and store it in memory during the first request. Every time a mobile page is requested, .NET standard browser capabilities are enhanced using the mobile device data to override original values.

It gives detailed more accurate information of mobile capabilities such as screen width, screen height, colour depth, brand, model etc. helping you to customize your webpages for the mobile device accessing your web site.

Hope above helps.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:55 PM

All replies

• User1146730029 posted

Hi Leima,

If you are talking about developing for Windows mobile, then this is a good place to start - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/windowsmobile/bb250560.aspx.

Download the SDK and install. When selecting a new project, select a mobile project.

HTH

Jag

Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:36 AM
  • User1027758673 posted

Hi, thank you for replying.  The thing is, I want to create a webpage that can be used on any mobile device, and I beleive that by using the windows mobile SDK I will be creating applications that can only run on windows mobile operating system, is that so?

Thursday, February 18, 2010 4:09 PM
  • User1146730029 posted

Hi Leima,

You dont need a special project for that (and I dont think one exists). You just need to make sure that you design your page for the small screen. The easiest way to do this is to just reduce the size of the window to approximately the size you expect the phone to have.

I dont know of a way to actually test it on the phone, other than releasing it on a website and browsing to it using the phone. There is a way to connect the phone to a PC and browse just to the PC, but, for the amount of work it will take, it may be worth just releasing it to a password protected prototype website instead.

Thursday, February 18, 2010 5:07 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

You dont need a special project for that (and I dont think one exists).

Yes you do, if you're targeting older phones (WML). After a long search in another topic, because many links on the Microsoft sites are broken, I found where to download the Mobile Control Toolkit:

<STRIKE>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=F4328333-0FD4-4348-88C0-39D10FB64F0A&displaylang=en</STRIKE>

Oops, wrong link! MMIT seems to be vanished...

Also. read this 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc301739.aspx

Thursday, February 18, 2010 6:51 PM
  • User1027758673 posted

Tnx for your help, after reading your answers and doing some research I think I'm on the right track, I'm just adding the mobile classes to my webpage so I can use mobile controls, something like:

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="code.cs" Inherits="method" %>
    <%@ Register TagPrefix="mobile" Namespace="System.Web.UI.MobileControls" Assembly="System.Web.Mobile" %>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" >
    <body>
        <mobile:Form id="id" runat="server" OnLoad="frmCreaRonda_Load">

<!-- Place controls here -->

</mobile:Form>

</body>
    </html>

Now I just have a few questions, is it possible to use html inside mobile:Form, like a table or a div for instance, I mean would it work on most mobiles?  

Also, I want to include a numeric up/down control on my forms, like the one from ajax, but there isn't one among the mobile controls and I'm guessing ajax can't be used on mobile webpages, I could create one, but is there a way to prevent a postback everything the user clicks up or down?

Friday, February 19, 2010 9:07 PM
  • User-1199946673 posted

I'm just adding the mobile classes to my webpage so I can use mobile controls, something like

That's correct. Instead of registering the mobile controls on every mobile page, you can also do this once in web.config

<controls>
      <add tagPrefix="mobile" namespace="System.Web.UI.MobileControls" assembly="System.Web.Mobile" />
    </controls>

Also, don't forget to let the page inherit from System.Web.UI.MobileControls.MobilePage instead from System.Web.UI.Page

is it possible to use html inside mobile:Form, like a table or a div for instance, I mean would it work on most mobiles?  

When using the mobile controls, you're targeting old WAP phones etc..., so you can't use HTML. You should create normal ASP.NET pages for modern mobile devices, that have a HTML browser.

Again, think about the capabilities if the device that you're targeting with the mobile controls!

Friday, February 19, 2010 9:21 PM
  • User1027758673 posted

You're right, I think I'll create a very basic version for old phones, and a regular asp.net page with a smaller page size for newer ones.

Thanks for the replies, I just wanted to know a bit about my options and the ways I could proceed, and your posts have helped me achieve that.

Friday, February 19, 2010 9:35 PM
  • User1135281112 posted

Hello Leima

Below is good information for your mobile web development.

Please have a look at http://www.51degrees.mobi/Products/tabid/63/Default.aspx it provides good resources for mobile web development. Following are the details.

1) Mobile Web Control

- Controls to implement google maps, location, adverts, image display, calendar control.
    - Detects and uses the most appropriate markup language for the device

2) .NET API [Mobile Capabilities]

http://www.51degrees.mobi/Products/NETMobileAPI/tabid/86/Default.aspx it is a free ASP.NET mobile api which helps to integrate mobile devices with existing and future web sites. It makes use of WURFL device database which is widely-accepted as the most advanced and up-to-date mobile device database available.

It has add-in for .NET web sites that'll automatically determine if a mobile device is accessing the site and redirect it to mobile specific content. You do not have to update any of your existing asp.net pages for same.

Once integrated into a web site, the API will parse device data and store it in memory during the first request. Every time a mobile page is requested, .NET standard browser capabilities are enhanced using the mobile device data to override original values.

It gives detailed more accurate information of mobile capabilities such as screen width, screen height, colour depth, brand, model etc. helping you to customize your webpages for the mobile device accessing your web site.

Hope above helps.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010 10:55 PM
  • User1027758673 posted

Thanks alot.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010 12:22 AM