Can You (Safely) Install and Run Multipile Versions (Editions) of SQL Server 2008R2 Express On The Same Machine? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a total newbie to SQL Server Express (or SQL Server in general), so forgive me if this is a "dumb" question.

I have decided it would be worth my time to study for (and obtain) Microsoft SQL Server certifications.  I am specifically studying to pass exams 70-432 (SQL Server 2008 - Database Administration) and 70-433 (SQL Server Database Development).  I purchased the book "Murach's SQL Server 2008 for Developers" as a study guide.  This book came with a recommendation that I install the SQL Server Express ("with Tools") edition along with a sample database (downloaded from their web site) which complements the code examples in their book.  I downloaded and installed both the Express edition ("with Tools") and the sample database to my x86 laptop box (running Windows XP SP3) with no problems.  (Everything works!)

The Murach book occasionally directs me to SQL Server Books Online for additional information on various topics.  In BOL I notice frequent references (and code snippets) tied to an "AdventureWorks2008R2" sample database.  Thinking it would be a good idea to download this "AdventureWorks2008" sample database, I went to the codeplex web site where that project is located.  I've discovered that on x86 boxes (running Windows XP in particular) the SQL Server Express ("with Tools") edition is not compatible with the AdventureWorks sample database.  (According to the documentation accompanying the download page for AdventureWorks2008R2, you need to install the SQL Server 2008 Express (with "Advanced Services") edition of SQL Server Express.  This means that I would need to have two different versions (instances?) of SQL Server Express installed on my machine side-by-side - both the "with Tools" version (in order to continue working with the Murach sample database) and the "Advanced Services" version (in order to download and work with the AdventureWorks sample database.)

I have SQL Server Installation Center installed on my desktop.  There is an option for "New Installation or add features to an existing installation" which drills down to "SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup" with the radio button for "New installation or add shared features" as the default selection.  My question is pretty basic.  If I attempt to install the "Advanced Services" edition of SQL Server Express alongside the "with Tools" version that is already installed, will both versions "play good" together?  Is this the whole idea behind SQL Server "instances" - that you can install multiple copies (or different Express editions) on the same machine and assign (connect) different sample databases to each installed edition?

My main concern is just to be fairly confident that installing two different versions of the same (basic) software on the same machine won't trigger a Pandora's box of compatibility problems.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 2:50 PM

Answers

• Papy:

After quite a bit of scrounging around in SQL Server Books Online, I found the answer to my own question.

The following upgrade scenarios are supported in this release of SQL Server 2008 R2.

Upgrade from                                        Supported upgrade path

SQL Server 2008 Express w Tools    SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Servic

So it would appear that upgrading from Express with Tools, (which is the version I currently have installed), to Express with Advanced Services is the preferred option.  (The only difference I can see between the two versions is that Advanced Services has a "Full-text search" capability - which the "with Tools" version lacks - and you have to enable FILESTREAM for the AdventureWorks sample database to run.

I’ll try upgrading (to "Advanced Services") and see how the download and install of AdventureWorks goes.

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Monday, October 24, 2011 12:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Monday, October 31, 2011 8:04 AM
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 5:36 PM

All replies

• Hello,

To avoid any problem, i have installed the SQL Server Express with advanced Services which includes the SQL Server instance, the tools and the Reporting Services. It is a bigger download but i had a full install without problem as you have everything installed in only once.But you may use SQL Server Express with Advanced Services to install the tools ( especially SQL Server Maangement Studio Express SSMSE ) and the Reporting Service on an existing SQL Server 2008/200 R2 instance where these features are missing.It is only an upgrade ( don't forget to apply the SP1 afterwards except if you use the Advanced Services Edition SP1 )

Some years ago, i have installed a Developer 2008 and 5 instances of SQL Server Express 2008 ( with Advanced Services ) on a XP SP3 . No problem, except that it was lagging ( the memory 2 GO ) was not enough. I unistall 3 Express instances, and that was no more lagging.

You may have a look at this blog : http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlexpress/  ( official blog of the team who manages SQL Server Express product in Microsoft )

Don't hesitate to post again for more explanations or help

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 5:16 PM
  • Papy:

Thanks for responding.  The primary reason I'm interested in the Express (with "Advanced Services") edition is because the Microsoft download page for the "AdventureWorks2008R2" sample database indicates that any Express edition (other than Express with Advanced Services) is not compatible with AdventureWorks - the AdventureWorks sample database will not run  without an instance of Express (with "Advanced Services") installed.  Taking into consideration the helpful information you have provided, would a better option be an upgrade of the exisiting [currently installed] "with Tools" instance rather than installing a separate [new] instance? 

If I attempt an upgrade of the existing default instance, what additional components would I need to specify - or check off - during the upgrade?  (What components and services are included in the "Advanced Services" edition that are not included in the "with Tools" version?)  I'm thinking it might be a better idea to upgrade the present instance, (if possible), rather than installing an entirely separate instance just so I can download and run the AdventureWorks2008 sample database.

Saturday, October 22, 2011 9:18 PM
  • Papy:

After quite a bit of scrounging around in SQL Server Books Online, I found the answer to my own question.

The following upgrade scenarios are supported in this release of SQL Server 2008 R2.

Upgrade from                                        Supported upgrade path

SQL Server 2008 Express w Tools    SQL Server 2008 R2 Express with Advanced Servic

So it would appear that upgrading from Express with Tools, (which is the version I currently have installed), to Express with Advanced Services is the preferred option.  (The only difference I can see between the two versions is that Advanced Services has a "Full-text search" capability - which the "with Tools" version lacks - and you have to enable FILESTREAM for the AdventureWorks sample database to run.

I’ll try upgrading (to "Advanced Services") and see how the download and install of AdventureWorks goes.

• Proposed as answer by Naomi N Monday, October 24, 2011 12:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Stephanie Lv Monday, October 31, 2011 8:04 AM
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 5:36 PM
  • Hello,

You have an excellent article from Mike Wachal ( SQL Server Express Blog )

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sqlexpress/archive/2008/08/24/faq-switching-between-sql-server-2008-edtions.aspx

He explained how to upgrade ( when it is necessary ) and how to avoid an upgrade with the function : Add Feature ( as for you )

I am sorry to be late to reply you but i am just coming back home ( it is now the night of Sunday in France )

The article was for SQL Server 2008 but it is applying to SQL Server 2008 R2 also.

Have a nice day

Mark Post as helpful if it provides any help.Otherwise,leave it as it is.
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 7:43 PM
  • I agree. When I read your question, I immediately thought that all that you need is a simple upgrade to the SQL Server Express with Advanced Services. Hopefully you will not encounter any problems updating.
    For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog
    Monday, October 24, 2011 12:13 AM