none
.Net Version 4.5 and 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am relatively new to the Microsoft stack.

My goal is to write and deploy a custom-built .net C# console application onto a windows server 2008 R2.

This server has the Microsoft .net Framework 4.5.1 (4.5.50938) installed with an existing vendor supplied off-the-shelf application.

My available IDE is Visual Studio 2010 Professional. When I create a new project and open the project properties, I get the options from .net 2.0 to 4.0 Client Profile.

After a quick online search, I noticed that visual studio 2010 does not support 4.5.1.

My questions:

1) If I build an application based on .net framework 4.0 and deploy it on the target server that has 4.5.1 installed, will

(a) I have to install .net 4.0 onto this server or is 4.0 included in 4.5.1?

(b) my custom application based on 4.0 still work

(c) would my custom application and .net 4.0 interfere with any application that already runs on the target server based on 4.5.1?

2) When I click on Help -> About Visual Studio, I can see on the right hand side 4.5.50938. Why does it recognize the latest version of .net in here but not in the project properties?

I would very much appreciate your feedback.

Thank you

Regards,

Toby

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 2:18 PM

Answers

• Please see suggestions in context below:

My questions:

1) If I build an application based on .net framework 4.0 and deploy it on the target server that has 4.5.1 installed, will

(a) I have to install .net 4.0 onto this server or is 4.0 included in 4.5.1?

.NET 4.5 is an in-place update to .NET 4.0. So, yes 4.0 is included in 4.5. This applies to 4.5.1 as well.

(b) my custom application based on 4.0 still work

Yes, it should.

(c) would my custom application and .net 4.0 interfere with any application that already runs on the target server based on 4.5.1?

No. your app will not affect others. Each app runs in its own managed space, and your app using 4.0 assemblies will not prevent other apps from using 4.5 assemblies.

2) When I click on Help -> About Visual Studio, I can see on the right hand side 4.5.50938. Why does it recognize the latest version of .net in here but not in the project properties?

Confusing, I admit. But VS 2010 is simply showing the latest .NET version on the system, not the latest version it can use internally. VS 2010 can use .NET 4.0 and previous versions 3.5, 3.0 and 2.0, but CANNOT see or use 4.5 in its projects. You have to move to VS 2012/VS 2013/VS 2015 to use 4.5 and newer.

BTW, have you heard about the new VS 2013 Community Edition (FREE)?

http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9863609

Tuesday, June 23, 2015 8:24 PM