How create animated power view reports using sharepoint list as a data source in sharepoint 2010? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I got a client requirement to create reports using SharePoint List as data source. The report should show reflection depends on values changed (I mean animation).

I have heard about the power view/power pivot which does this kind of animations in reports.

Can someone please guide me on creating reports which shows animations

1. In power view/power pivot using SharePoint List as data source in SharePoint 2010.

Thanks in advance.

MercuryMan

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 6:45 AM

All replies

• Hi MercuryMan,

Yes, Power View, a feature of SQL Server 2012 Reporting Services Add-in for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 or SharePoint 2013 Enterprise Edition, is an interactive data exploration, visualization, and presentation experience.
    It provides multiple views featuring tiles, slicers, a chart filter, and a number of visualizations, including cards, small multiples, and a bubble chart. So, we can use Power View to do intuitive ad-hoc reporting for business users such as data analysts, business decision makers, and information workers.

Currently, Power View report only supports two types of data models: PowerPivot Worksheet, and data models based on Analysis Services Tabular Model or Multidimensional Cube.

In your scenario, you can create PowerPivot worksheets using SharePoint List as data source, deploy the PowerPivot worksheet to a SharePoint Library or PowerPivot Gallery, and then generate Power View reports based on the PowerPivot worksheets on the SharePoint site.

To use SharePoint List as data source in Excel PowerPivot, you can refer to the following resource:

To create a Power View report based on PowerPivot model, you can refer to the following links:

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:34 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks and I glad to have the above good information and articles. Could you please help me on below queries

1. Do I have to install power Pivot feature under SQL Server 2008 r2? If yes, will this installation impact on existing farm?
    2. In above articles, it is asking to install the ADO.NET Data Services 3.5 SP1. Will this impact on my existing farm? do I have to install this on all WFEs followed by application server or just Application server is enough? http://powerpivotgeek.com/2010/10/28/using-a-sharepoint-list-as-a-data-source/ (I have checked in App server it has Microsoft Framework 4.0 installed)
    3. How the report data gets updated?

Please Help me

MercuryMan

• Edited by MercuryMan Sunday, February 2, 2014 4:52 AM
    Sunday, February 2, 2014 4:44 AM
  • Hi MercuryMan,

Sorry for the delay.

Here are the answers to your three questions:

1. Power View was first introduced in SQL Server 2012. If you are using SQL Server 2008 R2 and SharePoint 2010, Power View is not supported in your environment.
    2. To integrate the PowerPivot feature into the SharePoint server, we need to install ADO.NET Data Services 3.5 SP1. If not, we won’t be able to use PowerPivot data model to create a Power View report. As per my understanding, we only need to install the ADO.NET Data Service on the Application serve rather than on WFE servers.
    3. I am not clear about your mean by saying report data gets updated. For a Power View report based on PowerPivot data model, to update the source data, we need to manually update the Excel file that has PowerPivot data and upload it to the SharePoint library. 

Regards,

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Sunday, February 9, 2014 4:25 PM