Auto-Saving HTML Client Screen Periodically RRS feed

• Question

• I am in the process of developing my first large-scale Lightswitch application. I have a screen that is quite large (50+ items). Because this screen is so large, it takes a while to fill out, and I would like to periodically save the data that they have already filled out so that they can come back to it at any time if something happens. I have tried several different ways to do this, and the most logical one that I can come up with is using a Temporary table to store the data periodically. The issue that I'm running into with this method, is that when I try to save the data to the temporary table, it still wants to check the validation rules of the official table, not allowing it to actually be saved. Is this a good way to go about doing this? If so, is there any way for it to ignore the validation rules to save to the temp table? If it is not a good way to go about it, what would be a good solution? Any help/feedback/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Friday, June 6, 2014 2:00 PM

Answers

• Save/retrieve the temporary table using WebApi and not just a part of the same data workspace used for the real data and validation.

WebApi

Might give that a go my self next week.

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

• Marked as answer by cPanel Friday, June 6, 2014 3:06 PM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 2:58 PM

All replies

• For temporary storage we often use:

local storage

This is great for transient history, favorites and all sorts of other things.

Dave

Dave Baker | AIDE for LightSwitch | Xpert360 blog | twitter : @xpert360 | Xpert360 website | Opinions are my own. For better forums, remember to mark posts as helpful/answer.

• Edited by Xpert360 Friday, June 6, 2014 2:18 PM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 2:17 PM
  • Dave, 

Thank you for the suggestion. I may end up having to use this method, but I would prefer to save it server-side because each employee using the application may not be at the same computer everyday.

• Edited by cPanel Friday, June 6, 2014 2:45 PM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Save/retrieve the temporary table using WebApi and not just a part of the same data workspace used for the real data and validation.

WebApi

Might give that a go my self next week.

Dave

• Marked as answer by cPanel Friday, June 6, 2014 3:06 PM
    Friday, June 6, 2014 2:58 PM
  • This looks like the best way to go about it. Thanks a bunch!
    Friday, June 6, 2014 3:06 PM