Error "Cannot complete this action" when running 2 filters in Site Content and Structure page. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Our application is implemented using SharePoint 2007, I am getting an error when running 2 filters in Site Content and Structure.

I do the following and end up in the error described below,

1)      Login to a particular site collection

2)      Go to Site Actions -> Site Content and Structure

3)      Select a library from tree view [on left hand side], documents inside the library are listed on right hand side

4)      Do a filter for column X

5)      Then again do a filter for column Y

When I do a second filter, I get the following error message

Cannot complete this action.

Please try again.   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetListItemDataWithCallback(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, String bstrViewName, String bstrViewXml, SAFEARRAYFLAGS fSafeArrayFlags, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter pSACallback, ISPDataCallback pPagingCallback, ISPDataCallback pSchemaCallback)

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetListItemDataWithCallback(String bstrUrl, String bstrListName, String bstrViewName, String bstrViewXml, SAFEARRAYFLAGS fSafeArrayFlags, ISP2DSafeArrayWriter pSACallback, ISPDataCallback pPagingCallback, ISPDataCallback pSchemaCallback)

Not sure how to solve this issue, please help.

Monday, November 14, 2011 7:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

How often does this error happens? Does this error happens on specified library and column? Did you meet the same error if you perform these options in that library directly instead of site content and structure?

If this error only happens on the specified column, you can check what the difference between this column and others, like this a multi-value field or have a reference with another library or site. You can delete this column and recreate it to see if this can fix this issue.

And you can provide us more information after checking event viewer and ULS log.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Pengyu Zhao

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:47 AM
  • Hi Pengyu,

Thanks for the response.

This error occurs every time and across all the sites and not specific to any column.
    This error didn't occur when I do it in the library.

I didn't get any error message/info from event viewer or ULS logs. Please help.

Regards,
    Muthukannan
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 6:59 AM
  • Hi,

Error from ULS logs,

SMDataSource.PopulateListItemDataSet - WSS Exception = 'Cannot complete this action.  Please try again.'    

Please help.

Thanks,

Muthukannan

Monday, November 21, 2011 4:51 AM