none
July Challenge: Jupiter's Moons draw orbits RRS feed

• General discussion

• Last month, I had suggested to create a program to draw the orbit of Mars.

For the month of July, we will hear more about Jupiter, since 4 July there will be the arrival of the Juno probe. What have led me to proposed a challenge based on the Galilean system.

As for the month of July challenge, create a program to draw the orbit of the 4 main Jupiter's moons:

IO, EUROPA ,GANYMEDE, and CALLISTO.

references:

Galilean Moons of Jupiter - NASA

Wikipedia- Jupiter

Tuesday, June 21, 2016 3:33 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Here is the program no : BBN507

countdown to arrival to Jupiter, from today June 24th 10:51 AM = 10 days !!! .

On July 4, NASA will fly a solar-powered spacecraft the size of a basketball court within 2,900 miles (4,667 kilometers) of the cloud tops of our solar system’s largest planet.

As of Thursday (June 16th) , Juno is 18 days and 8.6 million miles (13.8 million kilometers) from Jupiter. On the evening of July 4, Juno will fire its main engine for 35 minutes, placing it into a polar orbit around the gas giant. During the flybys, Juno will probe beneath the obscuring cloud cover of Jupiter and study its auroras to learn more about the planet's origins, structure, atmosphere and magnetosphere

read more: Juno arrival on July 4

• Edited by YLedEditor Friday, June 24, 2016 9:56 PM the article was published June 16th
    Friday, June 24, 2016 2:53 PM
    Answerer
  • Here is a good website to have Jupiter Moon's position every hours, or every days, depending on what you are looking for. For example, IO take 1,76 day to go around Jupiter , so in this case we need IO position every hours.

Here the web site: http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons.cgi

here what it look like:

Sunday, July 10, 2016 7:50 PM
    Answerer
  • NASA’s Juno is now poised to shine a spotlight on the origins and interior structure of the largest planet in our solar system. As we wait for Juno's first close-up images of Jupiter (to be taken Aug. 27 during the spacecraft's next pass by the planet),

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-sails-full-speed-ahead-in-solar-system-exploration

Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:34 PM
    Answerer
  • This is my first step for this Challenge: Jupiter's moon orbit.

STEP 1 program no: PWN670 ( circle orbit)

STEP 2 program no : MKP026 ( color orbit)

STEP 3: program no: XFP964  ( ellipse orbit)

I only have draw : IO, EUROPA and GANYMEDE

because Ganymede, Europa and Io are all in orbital resonance with Jupiter. Io completes exactly four orbits and Europa completes exactly two orbits in the same time it takes Ganymede to complete one orbit around Jupiter.

see this EDU website: http://lasp.colorado.edu/education/outerplanets/moons_galilean.php

• Edited by YLedEditor Sunday, July 24, 2016 11:35 PM step 3 with ellipse orbit
    Sunday, July 24, 2016 10:56 PM
    Answerer
  • music box: FMQ503

run severeal times as song depends on random number (just 2 songs now)

Monday, July 25, 2016 4:38 AM
  • This is  step 4 of the program : KNK444

with LD extension in for date, so not for month challenge, but for fun.

orbits are on the good side, right to left.!

starting position for the 3 moons as i see on July 25th, on the WWTelescope software.

date add to the bottom.

to see if the position is following the date, here is a capture on August 18 th compare positions of Jupiter's moons my program with the WWT telescope software.

1 complete revolution of ganymede equivalent to  7.1555 days

program Jupitter's moons position August 18th 2016

WWT Jupiter's moons position August 18th

position July
    • Edited by YLedEditor Monday, July 25, 2016 7:00 PM LD extension in
    Monday, July 25, 2016 5:39 PM
    Answerer
  • Here is step 5 of the program, Callisto orbit add.

Callisto 1 full revolution orbit is 16,69 days around Jupiter.

program no: ZWJ544

Thursday, July 28, 2016 4:16 PM
    Answerer
  • pre-final program: TJK275

what's new: see Jupiter's moons moving like you would see in a telescope from Earth,

this is a simulation : moons positions do not synchro with a real time moons position

• Edited by YLedEditor Friday, July 29, 2016 2:48 PM important fact about synchro
    Friday, July 29, 2016 12:39 AM
    Answerer
  • Here is my final version : BHM208

The problem was to have all moon's synchro in time with the real world, that's was a hard challenge.

Without including Callisto orbit, it was  possible to be so close to the real moon's position in time.

So this final version is the best i can do, for the moment. :)

This program have help me to understand Small Basic statements  like :   Draw.Ellipse,   Shape.Move,   LDdateTime,  Math.cos ,  Math.sin ,  using radian instead of degree , and how to apply the mathematical formula of and ellipse into a program to draw orbits.

• Edited by YLedEditor Friday, July 29, 2016 3:03 PM some orthograph
    Friday, July 29, 2016 3:01 PM
    Answerer