none
Got the error “Symbol clr!XXX not found” when debugging the CLR object\class RRS feed

• Question

• I tried to print the CLR object/class by the windbg, however it failed.

Firstly, I tried to run x clr!Thread* to get some CLR class name, the output like below.

00007ffd`68957f18 clr!ThreadStore::s_pOSContext = <no type information>
    00007ffd`685b0bf0 clr!ThreadNative::SetApartmentState (<no parameter info>)
    00007ffd`685b12c0 clr!ThreadNative::YieldThread (<no parameter info>)
    00007ffd`6806be60 clr!Thread::ResetManagedThreadObjectInCoopMode (<no parameter info>)
    00007ffd`6895e928 clr!ThreadpoolMgr::LastCPThreadCreation = <no type information>
    00007ffd`68627800 clr!ThreadPoolNative::CorUnregisterWait (<no parameter info>)
    00007ffd`685b1320 clr!ThreadExceptionState::GetCurrentEHClauseInfo (<no parameter info>)
    00007ffd`681285c4 clr!ThreadpoolMgr::ChangeTimerQueueTimer (<no parameter info>)
    00007ffd`684c69f0 clr!Thread::BaseWinRTUninitialize (<no parameter info>)
    00007ffd`680eea20 clr!ThreadpoolMgr::ShouldGateThreadKeepRunning (<no parameter info>)
    00007ffd`684c8ca0 clr!Thread::IsWithinCer (<no parameter info>)
    00007ffd`6859a0c0 clr!ThreadpoolMgr::DeleteWait (<no parameter info>)

Then I run some commands like dt clr!classname or dt clr!classname objectaddress, however none of them worked with error "Symbol clr!xxxxx not found."

0:000> dt clr!ThreadNative
    Symbol clr!ThreadNative not found.
    0:000> dt clr!Thread
    Symbol clr!Thread not found.
    0:000> dt clr!ThreadpoolMgr
    Symbol clr!ThreadpoolMgr not found.

BTW, I found other persons got the same issue, however no solution until now.https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/4f31eab8-636c-4485-b7e8-4d5e60182efc/windbg-your-debugger-is-not-using-the-correct-symbols-on-dt-clrthread?forum=windbg

However some person can run the dt command successfully for the CLR class\object with old version CLR.
    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/yunjin/2005/08/29/thread-system-threading-thread-and-threads-ii/

I sure the pdb for the CLR loaded correctly. Please help to check if your have the same issues, if not please advise how to fix that issue.

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Thursday, June 22, 2017 6:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Micheal CS,

Thank you for posting here.

I am downloading the WinDbg to test it. If I get something, I will follow up.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 23, 2017 10:39 AM
  • Hi Wendy ,

Thank you for your testing and may I know the test results from you?

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Edited by Michael CS Tuesday, June 27, 2017 7:53 AM
    Tuesday, June 27, 2017 7:52 AM
  • Hi Michael CS,

Sorry for late reply.

For the following command line, do you use it in Crash Dump?

x clr!Thread*

When I run the .exe, create the dump file, open Windbg.exe, click File in Windbg menu and choose Open Crash dump. I could use the command line to get the symbols in all contexts that match the specified pattern.

When I try to use the following command line, my error shows that it is a wrong expression.

dt clr!ThreadNative

dt clr!Thread

dt clr!ThreadpoolMgr

For the use of tb, you may get something wrong. Please input the following command line to get the expression of db.

.hh [command]

If you have more details, please feel free to contact us.

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 10:36 AM