none
Registry on WinCE 6.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

a. Is there any tool available that allows updating the registry on a WinCE 6.0 device? E.g. something like that could parse a particular text file with information on a registry and then add it to the device registry?

b. Additionally is there any tool that could be used to view the registry items on a WinCE 6.0 device? Currently my understanding is that the only way to be able to do it is to use remote tools, but that would mean enablig KITL in the OS image so difficult to do on a release image ... ?

I would appreciate any pointers/comments on the above please.

Thanks,

Samie

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:20 AM

All replies

• Do you want a tool that runs local on target device or that runs on your PC ?

In the second case, the PC have to connect to the device in any way like Active Sync, CoreCon, etc etc..does the target support any of these ?

Paolo.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:29 AM
  • Thanks for your reply.

I want to be able to run the tool on the target device, and preferably over a  command line (my device is headless, so if I could run it over telnet that is ideal; otherwise I could possibly do with by running the VNC server and log into my device remotely but if I could do without it, that would be great).

Thanks,

Samie

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:36 AM
  • You can try with Bruce Eitman registry editor to this link :

http://geekswithblogs.net/BruceEitman/archive/2009/07/27/window-ce-simple-little-registry-editor.aspx

As reported by Bruce, it is a simple little registry editor.

A single exe file that you can run on the device.

Paolo.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:46 AM
  • On 11/10/2010 12:20 PM, samie1 wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > a. Is there any tool available that allows updating the registry on a
    > WinCE 6.0 device? E.g. something like that could parse a particular text
    > file with information on a registry and then add it to the device registry?
    >
    > b. Additionally is there any tool that could be used to view the
    > registry items on a WinCE 6.0 device? Currently my understanding is that
    > the only way to be able to do it is to use remote tools, but that would
    > mean enablig KITL in the OS image so difficult to do on a release image
    > ... ?

You don't need KITL to use the registry editor. If you launch the
    version you find in the Visual Studio folder of your start menu it can
    use connections configured inside VS (not plaform builder) and support
    ActiveSync or TCP/IP based connections.
    You've just to copy and run the VS debugger on your client

Valter Minute
    Windows Embedded MVP
    http://geekswithblogs.net/WindowsEmbeddedCookbook
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 1:18 PM
  • TascalSoft has a registry editor that will import a REG file.
    Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
    Senior Engineer
    Bruce.Eitman AT Eurotech DOT com
    My BLOG http://geekswithblogs.net/bruceeitman

Eurotech Inc.
    www.Eurotech.com
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 3:48 PM
  • Thanks to Paolo, Valter and Bruce for your replies.

Re Valter's reply, I am looking into it just now. I am having some issues on it, but that is probably because I have not setup the IP address for my target board in the remote tool.

Paolo (/Bruce): It looks like a nice tool. However, when I launch it it complains that it needs a later version of .NET framework. My OS image definitely has .NET Compact framework (version 2) built into it so I am not sure what is the issue here.

Bruce: TascalSoft's tool seems to be only available for ARM and MIPS, whereas my architecutre is Intel. Thanks for this pointer though.

I eneded up creating a tool from scratch which writes the particualr registry. Currently I just hardcoded the registry value in my code, but if anyone comes across a tool that is more flexible in terms of reading registry from an external file, please do let me know.

Many thanks once again,

Samie

Thursday, November 11, 2010 5:19 PM