\\tsclient\ not recognized in Remote Desktop

Question

• The way I synchronize some files between two of my machines is to use Remote Desktop and SyncToy.

Specifically, I run Remote Desktop on my Windows 7 workstation, and run SyncToy on the remote machine (which is an XP virtual machine in my HTPC/Server). When you do this, in SyncToy you can refer to the client (here Windows 7) machine as \\tsclient\. That is I use (for example):

Left Folder: D:\Mozilla\Signatures
    Right folder: \\tsclient\D:\Mozilla\Signatures

This works fine, but now I have dual-booted my Workstation with Windows 8, and SyncToy says it does not recognize the folder on the client machine (even though my Windows 8 mounts the same Data drive as my Windows 7, with the same drive letter D).

This happens with both the Metro version of Remote Desktop, and the normal mstsc.exe one. I am assuming (though I could be wrong) that this is because the \\tsclient\ is not recognized.

Anyway, why is this happening?

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:31 PM

Answers

• As I stated above, I confirm the defect you are talking about: you can't edit connection settings because the right-hand pane disappears immediately after you click Edit in the Favorites menu rendering impossible to configure device redirection.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:46 AM
  • I've created a defect on Remote app and submitted it with Feedback Tool.

Ah, I see. Heck, I thought server sends updates...

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:05 PM

All replies

• This happens with both the Metro version of Remote Desktop, and the normal mstsc.exe one. I am assuming (though I could be wrong) that this is because the \\tsclient\ is not recognized.
    OK, I forgot that that I have to set up the options in Remote Desktop to allow the remote computer to access the drives of the local computer. Now it works with the normal normal mstsc.exe version of Remote Desktop.

But I cannot get it to work with the Metro version of Remote Desktop because I cannot edit the session properties. If I right-click my session (which is called a Favorite) and select Edit, a screen comes up briefly and then disappears. Does anybody else see this?

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 9:19 AM
  • You mean, that you have forgotten to enable redirection? If so, thanks for pointing this out, worth having in mind.

I verified this behavior in my environment. I confirm the defect. When you select Edit for the context menu of the favourite, the right-hand pane appears on the screen and immediately disappears.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:21 AM
  • You mean, that you have forgotten to enable redirection? If so, thanks for pointing this out, worth having in mind.
    Yes, you have to implement drive indirection.

My question was: can you get this to work in the Metro version of Remote Desktop?

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:30 AM
  • As I stated above, I confirm the defect you are talking about: you can't edit connection settings because the right-hand pane disappears immediately after you click Edit in the Favorites menu rendering impossible to configure device redirection.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:46 AM
    OK, good, you see it also.

[You edited your post. I view the forums via the NNTP bridge, which does not see edits performed after the post is first downloaded.]

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 11:53 AM

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:05 PM

Yes, I will do it also.

NNTP is a pull technology.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:10 PM
  • As well as POP3 service. But AFAIR you can receive what you've got before with POP3 extension. Possibly, I am telling nonsense here.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 12:59 PM