none
Office mail apps manifest version 1.1 throws Unhandled exception on Safari(iPad) Emulation RRS feed

• Question

• I have a mail app using office.js v1.1.  I can launch the app in IE, but when I tried to launch it in IE with emulator set to Safari (iPad). I got the following error.

Unhandled exception at line 2, column 482451 in https://r4.res.outlook.com/owa/prem/15.0.939.15/scripts/boot.worldwide.0.wide.js

0x800a139e - JavaScript runtime error: Sys.InvalidOperationException: Template look up failed for id ComposeScreenView. Things to check:

- You have a typo in your template reference (Foo.htm's template is Foo, a nested (ie, not the main body one) template's name will be Foo.nameOfNestedTemplate

- The template is in an .htm file

- The project is correctly configured for template compilation.

- Look at .csproj (in notepad) and make sure it is including owa.targets.

- Configure VS for max build log detail and look at the logs to make sure owa template parser is working.

This is NOT a compose mail app, please see the manifest file below.  

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <OfficeApp xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/office/appforoffice/1.1" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:type="MailApp">
      <Id>AB519D27-9DAB-401A-AD7B-205505DE4aaa</Id>
      <Version>1.0</Version>
      <ProviderName>NetDexterity</ProviderName>
      <DefaultLocale>en-US</DefaultLocale>
      <DisplayName DefaultValue="ND|Mail 365" />
      <Description DefaultValue="ND|Mail sends currently selected emails to your list of SharePoint sites."/>
      <IconUrl DefaultValue="https://mysite.azurewebsites.net/images/NDMail.jpg" />
      <SupportUrl DefaultValue="http://www.netdexterity.com/contact-us.html" /> 
      <Hosts>
        <Host Name="Mailbox" />
      </Hosts>
      <Requirements>
        <Sets DefaultMinVersion="1.1">
          <Set Name="Mailbox" />
        </Sets>
      </Requirements>
      <FormSettings>
        <Form xsi:type="ItemRead">
          <DesktopSettings>
            <SourceLocation DefaultValue="https://mysite.azurewebsites.net/App/Home/Home.html" />
            <RequestedHeight>350</RequestedHeight>
          </DesktopSettings>    
        </Form>
      </FormSettings>
      <Permissions>ReadWriteMailbox</Permissions>
      <Rule xsi:type="RuleCollection" Mode="Or">
        <Rule xsi:type="ItemIs" ItemType="Message" FormType="Read"/>
        <Rule xsi:type="ItemHasRegularExpressionMatch"
      PropertyName="BodyAsPlaintext"
      RegExName="StubHeader"
      RegExValue="NDMail Stub: You can download a copy of your email here:" />
      </Rule>
    </OfficeApp>

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Friday, May 9, 2014 7:02 AM

Answers

• I’ve done some investigation into the error you are seeing and this appears to an issue unique to read apps on iPad.  We are currently working on a fix for this problem, but for now here is a work around so you can continue to develop and debug your app. 

Before trying to launch an app, click the “+ new” button to compose a new mail once the panel has appeared you can close the compose screen.  Now when you launch the app you should see the iframe where your app will load in the panel.  You only need to do this when you first log into OWA on iPad. 

Cheers,

-Wamwitha

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. To narrow down this issue, I have 2 questions need to be confirmed with you.

What do you mean by “launch it in IE with emulator set to Safari (iPad)”?

Does the same error occur in real environment (Safari on iPad)?

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, May 12, 2014 6:33 AM
  • After I launched IE, I pressed F12 to get the IE developer tool and set Emulation-> Mode -> user agent string-> Safari iPad.  IE reload to show the content as if I launched it in IPad, and when I click on my app in the app toolbar, it shows the error.

I also downloaded the OWA app on iPad and when I launch my app, I get a blank screen.

However, I was able to launch the app in the OWA app of iPhone and the safari browser on an iMac.

I changed the manifest file to use 1.0 version, but the behaviour is the same as v1.1.

Monday, May 12, 2014 12:59 PM
  • Hello Hilda, I wanted to verify the problem is that when you click on the app bar to launch the mail app you see a blank screen inside the iframe and that the OWA app itself launches. Is this correct? Normally, when there is an error loading a mail app a yellow bar with an error message appears at the top of the iframe, do you see this bar? I've tried to recreate your error but haven't been able to. Could you check the output in the console of the F12 debugger and let me know you see? Cheers, -Wamwitha Maina
    Monday, May 12, 2014 11:00 PM
  • Since it's in launched in the iPad emulation, it doesn't have the yellow bar, see screenshot.

The javascript error is shown in my initial post.  I also tried to launching the Bing Map, and it has the same error as my app.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:25 PM
  • I’ve done some investigation into the error you are seeing and this appears to an issue unique to read apps on iPad.  We are currently working on a fix for this problem, but for now here is a work around so you can continue to develop and debug your app. 

Before trying to launch an app, click the “+ new” button to compose a new mail once the panel has appeared you can close the compose screen.  Now when you launch the app you should see the iframe where your app will load in the panel.  You only need to do this when you first log into OWA on iPad. 

Cheers,

-Wamwitha

Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:56 PM
  • Hi,

I am not seeing this error. I quickly created a small sample as you said but no issues in emulator(IPAD). My IDE details- VS 2013 SP2, Off1.1, IE 11, Dev tool bar->emulator to Safari (IPad).

But I see my Mailapps are not shown anywhere and also no way to launch. It is completely hidden from the pane. 

A normal incident is required for us to engage our support team to work out this issue with product team to sort out. To investigate this further, please raise a paid support service request with us. If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a product issue the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. Please visit the below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation.

- Mahesh

Friday, May 16, 2014 11:24 PM
  • You can try to launch bing map in the ipad emulator, you will get the blank screen when you launch the bing map.
    Saturday, May 17, 2014 4:30 AM