none
WebBrowser control downloads pages instead of showing them RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

does anyone know what brings the WebBrowser control to downloading of a web pages, instead of showing them?

We have several issues in our very large C# project:

1. ShowHelp with .chm files shows our help file, but the navigation is not possible. It reports that the web page (???) can not be accessed. But we don't have any web access in our *.chm file. There are only internal .html pages which must be shown.

2. WebBrowser.Navigate (for example to http://www.microsoft.com) brings download window instead of showing of the page.

We have these issues only in Windows 7 x64 (restricted user) but not in Windows XP.

Any small sample application works correctly both in windows 7 and in Windows XP.

I guess, that we have the same problem in both cases.

What could it be, which can lead to such errors?

What should i check to solve the problem?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,

Igor

Monday, June 27, 2011 4:42 PM

All replies

• This has nothing to do with CLR. You are talking about IE's handling of mime types. Windows Forms's IE API wrapper in the webbrowser class does not change IE's behavir for opening a page.

Do you experience the same page download issue in IE or FireFox's IETab extension (e.g. file downloads when visiting microsoft.com)? Generally this kind of problem happens when the web site failed to send the correct header, but microsoft.com should be tested aganst that. And if your two machines are in the same subnet, proxy modification of http headers are excluded as well. If you have problem with all IE-based browsers, your computer may need repair, try dig the IE forum on answer.microsoft.com using the keyword "file download when open web page"

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Monday, June 27, 2011 7:43 PM
  • Well, thanks for the answer. I'll search for the issues in the ie forum.

But it seems that the clr prevents ie somehow from properly working.

1. IE (also Firefox etc.) standalone works well (Windows 7 and Windows XP).

2. Any simple sample C# application works well (Windows 7 and Windows XP).

We have issues only in our large project and only in windows 7.

I guess that may be clr security settings prevent the ie from properly working.

But what could it be? Can i debug it somehow?

The ActiveX control (shdocvw) also doesn't work in our project.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011 8:00 AM
  • There are a lot of differences between hosted webbrowser and IE documented in IE SDK but they are scattered in the documentations. The major difference can be found in the articles titled "webbrowser customization" and feature controls.

Did IETab work? I think it is a webbrowser host with some customization

The following is signature, not part of post
    Please mark the post answered your question as the answer, and mark other helpful posts as helpful, so they will appear differently to other users who are visiting your thread for the same problem.
    Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, July 10, 2011 4:28 AM