none
New Report Viewer Redistributable package with SP1? RRS feed

• Question

• When Visual Studio SP1 is released can I assume there will me a new msi package for distributing the control?  Any time frame on this?

Thanks

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 1:14 PM

Answers

• VS SP1 will include updates for the report viewer controls themselves, but will not include an update for ReportViewer.exe. The reason is that the release process for SP1 was too complicated for us to include an additional redistributable within it. We will make a new redistributable package available after SP1, but a time frame has not been determined.

-Albert 

Thursday, November 23, 2006 12:37 AM
  • We are hoping to have some type of redistributable available next week. Sorry for the long delay. There will be 3 parts:

1. A new version of ReportViewer.exe that includes SP1. This can install Report Viewer on new machines, but on machines that already have Report Viewer, the user will get a message that they need to uninstall the old version first.
    2. A patch that can silently update machines that already have Report Viewer.
    3. A patch for VS SP1 installations, replacing the ReportViewer.exe that ships with VS.

We expect parts 1 & 2 to be available next week.  Part 3 will take longer.

-Albert

Thursday, March 8, 2007 2:51 AM
  • Report VIewer redistributable FAQ

1. What files does the update contain?
      The update upgrades the Report Viewer assemblies runtime in the GAC to version 8.0.50727.817. For reference, the VS RTM version is 8.0.50727.42 and the VS SP1 version is 8.0.50727.762.
    2. What fixes are included in the update?
      The update includes all the changes from VS SP1, plus fixes for 6 or 7 new issues that were introduced in SP1.
    3. What is the audience of the update?
      The intended audience for the update is customers who are using Report Viewer, but do not have VS installed.
    4. I have VS.  Do I need the update?
      First, you should install VS SP1, if you have not done so already.  We are currently working on a patch that will update VS SP1 to the latest version of Report Viewer.  Rather than waiting for the patch, there are a couple of reasons you might want to manually upgrade VS now:
            1. You have encountered problems with Report Viewer since installing SP1.
            2. You are building a setup or ClickOnce project that redistributes ReportViewer.
    5. How do I update VS?
      VS installs Report Viewer binaries in 3 locations:
            1. GAC. You can upgrade the assemblies in the GAC by Installing the new Report Viewer redist.
            2. Visual Studio 8\Report Viewer folder.  These DLLs are only used to resolve project references at build time. They are not used at runtime.  You do not have to update these files.
            3. Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\ReportViewer\ReportViewer.exe.  This file is embedded in a setup created by a deployment project or ClickOnce that has a dependency on Report Viewer.  You can update this file by copying the updated ReportViewer.exe
    6. My application redistributes Report Viewer.  What should I tell my customers who have installed it?
      If you redistributed Report Viewer by embedding ReportVIewer.exe in your setup or by ClickOnce, you should tell your customers to install the update. If you redistributed Report Viewer binaries in some other way, you may have to create a custom updater for your application.
    7. My application redistributes Report Viewer.  What should I tell my customers who will install it in the future?
      If you created a setup project that contains an embedded copy of ReportViewer.exe, then you should update the setup with the latest version.  If you used ClickOnce and checked the option "Download prerequisites from the component vendor's site", you should not have to change anything.  The link on Microsoft's site should automatically download the latest version (However, the link has not been updated as of today.  Until this is fixed, you should tell your customers to download the update after installing your application.)
    Friday, March 30, 2007 10:02 PM
  • Hi Albert,

In point #7 you state "The link on Microsoft's site should automatically download the latest version (However, the link has not been updated as of today.  Until this is fixed, you should tell your customers to download the update after installing your application.)"

Can you check the status of the link. Recent installations of our click-once application (including one today, 07/17/07) are still installing the 8.0.50727.42 version of the assembly Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.

Thanks - Mike

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 4:49 PM

All replies

• VS SP1 will include updates for the report viewer controls themselves, but will not include an update for ReportViewer.exe. The reason is that the release process for SP1 was too complicated for us to include an additional redistributable within it. We will make a new redistributable package available after SP1, but a time frame has not been determined.

-Albert 

Thursday, November 23, 2006 12:37 AM
  • Hi Albert,

Your note was from November and as far as I can tell there is still no ReportViewer.exe update.

Is there any word on when this will be available? My software is a ClickOnce winforms application. I don't believe there is any convenient way to update all  my customers  without a ReportViewer.exe update.

Thanks - Mike

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 4:29 AM
  • seems like a lot of people waiting on some feed back to this question

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:02 AM
  • Yep. It would be nice if we even had a estimate of a release date.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 2:16 PM
  • *sigh* still no update?
    Friday, March 2, 2007 10:03 PM
  • Waiting an update here too ... And please more communication would be appreciated.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:10 PM
  • How about a method to install the new report viewer dll's onto a team build server?

Before we used the redistributable, but as of right now, we're stuck with a broken build because our build server doesnt have the updated reportviewer dll's, which is obviously a very serious problem.

Also, this issue needs to be listed on the KB article that goes along with the service pack.  If i had know it was going to break our build system, i never would have updated.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 7:21 PM
  • I think we should bombard this thread with posts so it is always on the first page and maybe it even makes the top 5.

By the sound of it, it seems others like myself have invested a lot of time with this viewer but have found basic missing functionality which really renders it an inferior product.

My main issue (output html stored in the database) was first raised in early 2005, the reply was that it was one of the most requested features and would definitly be in the next release, however it didn't happen in SP1, so I'm not holding my breath....

It feels like they have given up...

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 9:30 PM
  • We are hoping to have some type of redistributable available next week. Sorry for the long delay. There will be 3 parts:

1. A new version of ReportViewer.exe that includes SP1. This can install Report Viewer on new machines, but on machines that already have Report Viewer, the user will get a message that they need to uninstall the old version first.
    3. A patch for VS SP1 installations, replacing the ReportViewer.exe that ships with VS.

-Albert

Thursday, March 8, 2007 2:51 AM
  • Thanks albert

That news has made my day

Thursday, March 8, 2007 3:34 AM
  • Thats great. Will make life a lot easier.

Thanks

Thursday, March 8, 2007 9:09 AM
  • Now that "next week" is "This week", do you think it will be early this week, or late this week?

As few of us are getting anxious................

Forch

Monday, March 12, 2007 5:00 PM
  • Very anxious ! 
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 5:34 PM
  • Can hardly wait...
    Wednesday, March 14, 2007 3:26 PM
  • Yes Hurry up on this. Or give the approved steps to manualy install the components and regester with the GAC
    Thursday, March 15, 2007 3:09 PM
  • Update

The packages are almost ready. The final step is for a KB article to be written.  We think this will be completed in 1 or 2 days and the packages will be available early next week.

-Albert

Friday, March 16, 2007 7:31 PM
  • Will any additional export renders (like RTF or HTML) for Local Reports be included in this patch?

Thanks, Steve H

Monday, March 19, 2007 1:58 PM
  • Hi Albert,

thanks for the open information policy at Microsoft.

We also have been waiting for months.

Is there a possibility to subscribe to a kind of distribution list to be alerted the moment the package is distributed or do I need to poll Micrsosoft's download site every day?

Thanks in advance

Yours Henry

Monday, March 19, 2007 10:12 PM
  • Put me on that list as well.
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 3:36 AM
  • Same here
    Wednesday, March 21, 2007 8:32 AM
  • We'll reply to this thread when the package is ready, so one way be notified is to sign up for thread notifications. (Click the "Alert Me" button at the top of this page.

BTW, the current state of the redist is that we are still waitng for the KB article.

-Albert

Thursday, March 22, 2007 2:16 AM
  • Hi Albert

If the software is ready for distribution now, I'm sure we can all live without the KB Article for a few weeks.

Saturday, March 24, 2007 11:17 PM
  • YES PLEASE release just to the forum.  I am in emergency mode with my client and just need to get this FIXED!
    Monday, March 26, 2007 2:42 PM
  • At last, the package is finished.  It was released about 30 minutes ago. The download locations are:

Type of install

Webpage link

Full Installation

(for customers who don’t have this on their machine)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E7D661BA-DC95-4EB3-8916-3E31340DDC2C&displaylang=en

Upgrade

(for customer who had this on their machine)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=35F23B3C-3B3F-4377-9AE1-26321F99FDF0&displaylang=en

-Albert

Tuesday, March 27, 2007 10:13 PM
  • Albert you are a "tesoro", gracias y saludos, Henry

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:23 AM
  • Albert,

I've made a clickonce application that utilizes the report viewer and i'm looking for some guidance on how to move forward with using the new package. 

Should I instruct my current users to visit the upgrade page?

Should I provide the upgrade link to new installs after they run the clickonce install? 

Or will the clickonce installer automatically pick up the SP1 version? 

If it does not is there a way I can configure it so that it will?

Thanks for the hard work,

Jon

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:45 AM
  • Albert

I downloaded and installed the update, but I don't see any difference anywhere, are there any obvious differences that I should spot immediately, that tells me if I'm running the right version or not.

Thanks

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:13 AM
  • Thank you for the patch. Question though.

It looks like the new version only patches the GAC version files "8.0.50727.817" on the computer and not the ReportViewer directory within Visual Studio "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\ReportViewer" which still has the version as "8.0.50727.42".

When I created a new sample project and added the ReportViewer control the reference was pointing to the location with VS. Should these files have been updated also?

Anyway to work around the problem, if you take the full install and unzip/extract the exe "ReportViewer.exe" and then the internal cab "ReportV1.cab" the embedded DLL files are the correct version and you can use these to replace the VS ReportViewer files.

1. FL_Microsoft_ReportViewer_Common_dll_117718_____X86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8

(renamed to)

Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common.dll

2. FL_Microsoft_ReportViewer_ProcessingObject_125592_____X86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8

(renamed to)

Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll

3. FL_Microsoft_ReportViewer_WebForms_dll_117720_____X86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8

(renamed to)

Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms.dll

4. FL_Microsoft_ReportViewer_WinForms_dll_117722_____X86.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8

(renamed to)

Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.dll

Steve H

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 11:36 AM
  • I've got exactly the same questions with the click once strategy ...
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 12:17 PM
  • I like the workaround for getting the new versions of files directly from the cab files in the installation executable.  However, I notice that the xml files are missing, which leads me to assume that intellisense will either be missing or incorrect (if you leave the old xml files).

Also, I didn't have a Microsoft.ReportViewer.ProcessingObjectModel.dll in my visual studio folder before.  Is this a new file?

I'm also wondering if the actual Visual Studio release of these files might include changes to the designer for the report viewer control?

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:34 PM
  • Albert,

I didn't find a list of fixed issues, known issues, etc. in the KB articles.

Where can I find a list of everything that was changed in the report viewer service pack.

Matt

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 3:42 PM
  • Hi,

Many thanks for this update - it resolved a tricky problem for us.

I'm a little confused as to what these new dlls are - the standard report viewer dll versions are:
    microsoft.reportviewer.winforms 8.0.50727.42
    microsoft.reportviewer.common 8.0.50727.42
    microsoft.reportviewer.processingobjectmodel 8.0.50727.42

Those installed with Visual Studio 2005 SP 1 are:
    microsoft.reportviewer.winforms 8.0.50727.762
    microsoft.reportviewer.common 8.0.50727.762
    microsoft.reportviewer.processingobjectmodel 8.0.50727.42

The new versions are;
    microsoft.reportviewer.winforms 8.0.50727.817
    microsoft.reportviewer.common 8.0.50727.817
    microsoft.reportviewer.processingobjectmodel 8.0.50727.817

Although the latest release is labelled 'Reportviewer SP1 redistributable' they are more like SP1a. Interestingly they fix a problem we had when running under Chinese XP which the VS 2005 SP1 versions did not.

As per the previous post, I'd also like a list of what has been changed in the latest release.

Doug
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 4:32 PM
  • Report VIewer redistributable FAQ

1. What files does the update contain?
      The update upgrades the Report Viewer assemblies runtime in the GAC to version 8.0.50727.817. For reference, the VS RTM version is 8.0.50727.42 and the VS SP1 version is 8.0.50727.762.
    2. What fixes are included in the update?
      The update includes all the changes from VS SP1, plus fixes for 6 or 7 new issues that were introduced in SP1.
    3. What is the audience of the update?
      The intended audience for the update is customers who are using Report Viewer, but do not have VS installed.
    4. I have VS.  Do I need the update?
      First, you should install VS SP1, if you have not done so already.  We are currently working on a patch that will update VS SP1 to the latest version of Report Viewer.  Rather than waiting for the patch, there are a couple of reasons you might want to manually upgrade VS now:
            1. You have encountered problems with Report Viewer since installing SP1.
            2. You are building a setup or ClickOnce project that redistributes ReportViewer.
    5. How do I update VS?
      VS installs Report Viewer binaries in 3 locations:
            1. GAC. You can upgrade the assemblies in the GAC by Installing the new Report Viewer redist.
            2. Visual Studio 8\Report Viewer folder.  These DLLs are only used to resolve project references at build time. They are not used at runtime.  You do not have to update these files.
            3. Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages\ReportViewer\ReportViewer.exe.  This file is embedded in a setup created by a deployment project or ClickOnce that has a dependency on Report Viewer.  You can update this file by copying the updated ReportViewer.exe
    6. My application redistributes Report Viewer.  What should I tell my customers who have installed it?
      If you redistributed Report Viewer by embedding ReportVIewer.exe in your setup or by ClickOnce, you should tell your customers to install the update. If you redistributed Report Viewer binaries in some other way, you may have to create a custom updater for your application.
    7. My application redistributes Report Viewer.  What should I tell my customers who will install it in the future?
      If you created a setup project that contains an embedded copy of ReportViewer.exe, then you should update the setup with the latest version.  If you used ClickOnce and checked the option "Download prerequisites from the component vendor's site", you should not have to change anything.  The link on Microsoft's site should automatically download the latest version (However, the link has not been updated as of today.  Until this is fixed, you should tell your customers to download the update after installing your application.)
    Friday, March 30, 2007 10:02 PM
  • Hi Albert and all concerned persons at MS,

New Redist patch is having a major issue which i have posted in below given post, system is automatcially rebooting when print button is clicked.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1446874&SiteID=1

can you pls chk and advise a solution for the same.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:44 AM
  • Hi all

I'm up and running with this although I still have a few non-critical issues that I'd like to tidy up.

I have VS SP1. I develop some apps which are distributed with ClickOnce. Since I installed SP1 on my development machine, I've been including the ReportViewer DLLs with "Copy Local". That has worked okay.

Now I'm trying to do it properly with the new redistributable package.

I followed step 5 in the FAQ above. and then did the following for an application:

* Set Copy Local back to false on the reference to Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.

* In ClickOnce prerequisites, I checked on "Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Report Viewer" and left the download choice at download from vendor's web site.

* Published. This always gives me an error saying:

Warning  : The value of the 'PublicKey' attribute in 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Report Viewer' does not match that of file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bootstrapper\Packages\ReportViewer\ReportViewer.exe'.

That error doesn't seem to have any ill effect but its still something that I'd like to fix.

* When existing users tried to update the app, they got an error saying that one of the ReportViewer dlls needed to be in the GAC. I figured that was because of the way I was previously distributing the ReportViewer so I asked the users to manually install ReportViewer.exe. Its only a small in-house app so it is no big deal to do this.  That fixed it for existing users.

* For new installs, after the ReportViewer package was automatically installed by ClickOnce, the user would get an error about a temp file whch "has changed since it was initially published". I fixed that by telling my app to install prerequisites from the same location as the app and republishing which also published the prerequisites.

That's where I'm at now. Things are working okay although there are those two untidy issues I'd appreciate if someone can explain.

Thanks
    Ross

Friday, April 27, 2007 9:37 PM
  • The new dlls appear not to be code signed by Microsoft. For Vista LOGO requirements ALL executable files must be signed. I installed the updates

If I build my installation (VS 2005 Installer project - NON clickonce), the Microsoft.ReportViewer dlls are included in the setup, but since they are not signed the application will fail the Vista Logo requirements (Test case #5 of Version 1.3.001 'Certified for Windows Vista Test Cases').

Note our .NET application invokes the reportviewer dlls via the ReportViewer control (not the reportviewer.exe) and hence we need to have the reportviewer control dlls as part of the overall installed package.

How do we get 'signed' versions?

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 3:00 PM
  • Hi Albert

Thanks for your FAQ.

Your point 5.3.: "...update this file by copying the updated ReportViewer.exe" package in the BootStrapper directory did only work for me after I changed the PublicKey token in ...BootStrapper\ReportViewer\product.xml to the public key of the new redustributable.

I did not find this public key on the microsoft website so I copied it from the ReportViewer.exe: properties/Signatures/Details/public-key tag.

Also your points 1 and 2: We would gladly appreciate a more detailed change and feature list for the service packs.

Currently we are struggling with severe performance and memory problems with ReportViewer, so we are strongly interested in all coming updates of ReportViewer.

Hope that helps anybody with the same problem.

Elmar
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 9:20 AM
  • Unfortunately, there are no plans to produce signed versions of the DLLs, since Vista certification was not a requirement for VS 2005.

-Albert

Friday, June 22, 2007 11:53 PM
  • Hi Albert and all concerned,

Kindly look at my post also where i complained that new patch is causing system to reboot.

I have posted several reminders with no response, can you pls look into this and advs your comments.

Saturday, June 23, 2007 7:02 AM
  •  Vinodonly wrote:

Hi Albert and all concerned,

Kindly look at my post also where i complained that new patch is causing system to reboot.

I have posted several reminders with no response, can you pls look into this and advs your comments.

Vinodonly,

Check out KB935843; there is a hotfix that fixed this problem for us. (Our machines bluescreened when using the print button on SQL Reporting Services web page reports.)  Not sure if this is your problem or not.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935843/en-us

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 8:16 PM
  • Hi Albert,

In point #7 you state "The link on Microsoft's site should automatically download the latest version (However, the link has not been updated as of today.  Until this is fixed, you should tell your customers to download the update after installing your application.)"

Can you check the status of the link. Recent installations of our click-once application (including one today, 07/17/07) are still installing the 8.0.50727.42 version of the assembly Microsoft.ReportViewer.WinForms.

Thanks - Mike

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 4:49 PM
  • The link has been updated.  Your click-once application should be installing the correct version as of now. Thanks for reporting this.

-Albert

Thursday, July 19, 2007 10:24 PM
  • Since the link has been updated one of my users is reporting the following error:

"reportviewer.exe has changed since it was initially published.click ok to retry or cancel to exit"

Does the bootstrapper need to be changed so that the automatic download will succeed?  I've done a new publish and asked the user to try again, but no response from the user yet.

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:03 AM
  • Jon:

I tried the new rv installer with a new deploy and got the same error you reported.  I've posted the details of the error for MS on the "Visual Studio 2005 SP1 is now available! " thread.  Hope MS figures this one out soon.

Glenn L

Monday, July 23, 2007 1:10 PM
  • Struggling with this very problem today as well trying to Vista Logo testing with our application. Failed to install due to the above error. I thought the whole point of putting updated versions on the web was so the end users could get them. In this case, if you application was built with one version, it stops installing as soon as Micrsoft deploys a new version.

I think we need a new 'bootstrapper' version to put into VS 2005 with the proper hash codes. I'm going to construct my own, but Microsoft should be providing this to developers as part of the VS 2005 upgrades.

But this just delays the problem; the next time the ReportViewer is updated, then all your installations stop working again.

Any other solutions?
    Monday, July 23, 2007 2:08 PM
  • I'm struggling to. Moreover, my customers will not be very happy.

We are recommending that customers installing our ClickOnce app for the first time first install the .Net 2.0 Framework and ReportViewer from their respective download sites (as below). With the pre-requisites installed in advance of our application, the customer can then attempt to install our software.

Albert, please let us know the status of this problem.  Thanks! - Mike

.Net Framework 2.0 download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&DisplayLang=en

ReportViewer Full installation download:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E7D661BA-DC95-4EB3-8916-3E31340DDC2C&displaylang=en

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 8:31 PM
  •  

Add me to the list of developers that will encounter customer deployment problems and needs it fixed asap. 

What I don't understand is that we have two Microsoft technologies (ClickOnce and ReportViewer redistributable) that don't play nicely together and yet there's no indication that Microsoft is attaching any importance to getting this fixed. 

Is there any way to get this escalated ?

Thanks!

GlennL 

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:32 PM
  • We've reverted the download link so that it retrieves the RTM version of ReportViewer.exe.  This is the only solution that doesn't break existing applications.  I apologize for the trouble this caused.

As many of you have observed, the SP1 version of ReportVIewer.exe is signed with a different public key than the RTM version.  The bootstrapper's download check assumes that updates are signed with the same key as the original.  Apparently this assumption is incorrect with respect to our own software.  As the RTM certificate has expired, it seems that it is not possible to build a SP1 ReportViewer.exe that can be downloaded with the RTM bootstrapper.  We currently working on a VS QFE to update the bootstrapper. 

-Albert

Friday, July 27, 2007 12:41 AM
  • Now that you have reverted back, my new Installations (ones made with the new public certificate put in the VS Studio bootstrapper) no longer work. They get the same error that I received when I had the RTM certificate code, and you had the download link changed to deliver the ReportViewer SP1. So, I cannot produce an installation that requests the new ReportViewer since a customer cannot install our product.

Is the VS QFE going to address this problem?

So my only choice at present is to go back to the RTM certficate code, the customers get the OLD (buggy) ReportViewer when they install, and have them manually download the new ReportViewer.

Or, have the customer download the ReportViewer themselves BEFORE they install our product so that the proper version is already present.

Or, build an installation that gives up on the Microsoft Prerequiste handling since it seems to be non functional, and provide documentation to customers that they must first
    1) ensure they have installed .NET 2.0
    2) ensure they have installed ReportViewer
    3) then and only then, are they ready to install our product.

Any recommendations?

Friday, July 27, 2007 3:17 PM
  • For your hand-built bootstrapper, you don't want it to try to download updates from Microsoft. One way to stop it from downloading is to edit the product.xml file and remove the HomeSite attribute from the PackageFile element.

To recap, the procedure for creating a setup that installs the newer ReportViewer.exe is:

1) Copy the new ReportViewer.exe to C:\program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\sdk\v2.0\bootstrapper\packages\reportviewer\reportviewer.exe

2) Edit the C:\program files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\sdk\v2.0\bootstrapper\packages\reportviewer\product.xml file.  Find the <PackageFIle> element and change it to:

<PackageFile Name="ReportViewer.exe" PublicKey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

This replaces the PublicKey with the key of the new ReportViewer.exe and also removes the HomeSite link which stops it from trying to download the old version from Microsoft.

4) Rebuild your installation with Visual Studio.

-Albert

Friday, July 27, 2007 5:42 PM
  • Note to any who wish to use ReportViewer redistributable with their application and are going to get "Certified for Vista" status. You will have to ensure you ask for WAIVERS from Microsoft for Test Case 5 excluding any/all of the dlls installed by ReportViewer in order to pass the certification tests.

It would be nice if Microsoft would simply have a blank waiver for common dlls that don't follow the Vista certification requirements to avoid delays in getting certification, and having any/all ask for the same waiver if they plan on using the ReportViewer.

It would be better if Microsoft redistributables were simply SIGNED !
    Wednesday, November 7, 2007 8:20 PM
  •  Albert Yen - MS wrote:

We are hoping to have some type of redistributable available next week. Sorry for the long delay. There will be 3 parts:

-Albert

i can only find 1 and 2. any news concerning part 3 ?

thank you

thomas

Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:01 AM
  • What a terrible mess this report viewer control and its installation is...

Is there still, after more than a year, no list of bugs fixed or of differences between the versions from RTM .42, SP1 .762 and this update with .817? Or still no corrected version of the VS Update?

How can I determine what is being used, what is installed on my or on my users system? Visual Studio will only list the files in a setup project or in the toolbox as 8.0.0.0.
    Same with GACUTIL. All I get is "version installed is 8.0.0.0" when I run GACUTIL with /l. I tried to run it with /i to install the .817 versions I unpacked manually, and it comes back with "assembly installed", but /l then again only list the same one entry.

Pretty pointless... What can I do to make sure the most recent version is used, how can I see if it is or not?

Thanks
    Ralf
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:53 AM
  • It is disappointing that after 2 years, it appears that nothing has changed. I am faced with once again preparing a new product release of our product with prerequisites of ReportViewer 2008.

There is an SP1 for Report Viewer 2008 available, all the files are unsigned, and there is Windows 7 Logo certification looming on the horizon, and the installation of ReportViewer 2008 SP1 doesn't provide the necessary files for VS 2008 SP1 bootstrapper requirements (or if it does, I haven't found them yet).
    Monday, May 4, 2009 12:30 PM
  • I started this thread 3 years ago and am surprised that I need to revisit it now. We just deployed a new solution using report viewer, built with VS 2008. Then found out that VS 2008 brought a new version of the  report viewer, and that there is even a version for VS 2008 SP1.  Our users only have version 8 installed.

Where can I find out what has changed between version 8 and version 9 SP1?
    Is there an MSI available, or what is the recommended method for deploying this to 2000 desktops?

• Proposed as answer by robooko Sunday, December 6, 2009 5:34 PM
    Friday, September 4, 2009 7:58 AM
  • I got this error.  It seems the reportviewer 2008 sp1 is new.
    So looking at the error log i found that it was downloading reportviewer.exe from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=98185
    So I downloaded it and replaced any versions found in program files.
    closed vs2008
    reopened and built and deployed the clickonce deployment.

and I dont get the error about the the version changing now. 
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 5:42 PM
  • It is disappointing that after 2 years, it appears that nothing has changed. I am faced with once again preparing a new product release of our product with prerequisites of ReportViewer 2008.

There is an SP1 for Report Viewer 2008 available, all the files are unsigned, and there is Windows 7 Logo certification looming on the horizon, and the installation of ReportViewer 2008 SP1 doesn't provide the necessary files for VS 2008 SP1 bootstrapper requirements (or if it does, I haven't found them yet).

As expected, ____ has returned; Our customers are now encountering the following message during installation of our recently deployed program (built November 25 with VS2008):

Setup has detected that the file '....\Temp\...\ReportViewer\ReportViewer.exe' has changed since it was initially published. Click OK to retry the download, or Cancel to exit setup.

You can click OK as many times as you want, but the customer will never get the reportviewer downloaded. They must now be told (AFTER THEY CALL US!) where to find it on Microsoft's web site.

This has occurred just recently (probably after the new year?).

We are probably going to abandon any further use of Microsoft's deployment scenarios as they seem incapable after 3 years of getting it to work.

The current apparent version of ReportViewer.exe is 9.0.30729.01 as found today.
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 2:38 PM
  • We've reverted the download link so that it retrieves the RTM version of ReportViewer.exe.  This is the only solution that doesn't break existing applications.  I apologize for the trouble this caused.

As many of you have observed, the SP1 version of ReportVIewer.exe is signed with a different public key than the RTM version.  The bootstrapper's download check assumes that updates are signed with the same key as the original.  Apparently this assumption is incorrect with respect to our own software.  As the RTM certificate has expired, it seems that it is not possible to build a SP1 ReportViewer.exe that can be downloaded with the RTM bootstrapper.  We currently working on a VS QFE to update the bootstrapper. 

-Albert

Looks like you did it again (updated the download link that is published with products recently built) as our customers are once again encountering a problem during deployment.

Our product was built using a Bootstrapper file containing ReportViewer.exe with version 9.0.30729.4402 (this bootstrapper was provided as an updated to 2008, but where we got it escapes me for the moment). Installations worked fine using this bootstrapper file. However, now the file downloaded from Microsoft has the version 9.0.30729.01 which is earlier than the one the bootstrapper specifies.

Please put the 9.0.30729.4402 file back on the download site so ALL products that have been built with this bootstrapper variant (and released) continue to install without error.

• Edited by Keith Dorken Thursday, January 7, 2010 3:46 PM Update with specific version information
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 2:51 PM
  • I'm getting the same erro,  this is very embarrassing when customers call you up telling you that your installation does not work and you then need to send them a link to download the report viewer directly from the microsoft site..  Is there a resolution?
    Friday, January 8, 2010 3:25 PM
  • I had this same problem as well.  Gave Microsoft a ring and they came to the same conclusion -that the code signing certificate had changed breaking all the Clickonce installs.  They  gave me a new package.xml with the following link ID:

<String Name="ReportViewerExe">http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=185122</String>

I just deployed to my test servers and it looks like it is working.
    Just change the above line in
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\ReportViewer\en\packages.xml

Also i am using version 9.0.30729.4402 of reportviewer.exe at Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\Bootstrapper\Packages\ReportViewer.  

hopes this helps.  
    • Proposed as answer by Jbirg Monday, March 8, 2010 10:37 PM
    Friday, March 5, 2010 11:14 PM
  • JBirg's last reply must be marked as the answer. It worked for me.
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:40 PM