none
Customize Office Web App as with VSTO RRS feed

• Question

• Can somebody tell me if it is possible to customize Office Web Apps as can be done with VSTO (or at least similar)??

I have a VSTO excel workbook with with some custom functionalities that I need, I also disabled/repurposed some excel ribbon functionalities and behaviors.  Now I would like to have the same (or very close) functionalities on SharePoint 2010 Office Web Apps.

Is it suitable?? Any suggestion on something similar or another possible solution..

Thanks

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:35 PM

Answers

• Currently the Office Web apps have, as far as I know, no API at all. Without an API, nothing (not even VSTO) has access to an application.

Perhaps something like this may be possible in some future version, but I've never heard it mentioned.

If you haven't already you might ask in the Share Point forums, but I'm reasonably sure there's nothing like that available.

Cindy Meister, VSTO/Word MVP
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:53 PM

All replies

• Currently the Office Web apps have, as far as I know, no API at all. Without an API, nothing (not even VSTO) has access to an application.

Perhaps something like this may be possible in some future version, but I've never heard it mentioned.

If you haven't already you might ask in the Share Point forums, but I'm reasonably sure there's nothing like that available.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Thanks, I will post it there.

If you come up with an idea of a possible solution please let me know.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 8:07 PM

What happens when someone uses Office Web App to edit a Word 2010 document containing a document-level customization?  Will an action pane appear in the browser?
    Karl~
    Friday, June 3, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Hi Karl

<<What happens when someone uses Office Web App to edit a Word 2010 document containing a document-level customization?  Will an action pane appear in the browser?>>

I don't know - it's not something I've ever tried. My gut feeling, however, is that the document-level customization won't run (so no action pane will appear). Currently, VSTO won't run in an "embedded" situation. Also, the web app hasn't got anything near full functionality compared to the "real" Word application. Certainly, no VBA macros will run. So I guess I'd be willing to bet a month's salary that the VSTO document will only open as a "plain" document in the current Office versions (2010 - just in case someone reads this in a couple of years!)

Friday, June 3, 2011 8:16 AM