Which version is appropriate RRS feed

• Question

• I'm an old Access Client/Server guy (for 10 years) getting into .NET and Web Development.  I currrently have NO significant experience in either.  Heck - I can't even spell WWW    I'm getting ready to get tooled up and trained.  I would appreciate a little info to make sure I make the right investment.  The general forum referred me to this form for the Client Server question.

Question 1:  I'm a little confused with the product name.  I'm going to omit abbreviations to be clear.  Is there a Visual Studio 2005 and a seperate product name Visual Studio .NET 2005 or is this two names for the same product?????  If they are not the same - I ASSUME I need to get Visual Studio .NET 2005.  

Question 2: If I want to create a Client Server application, does Visual Studio _ _ _ _ handle this also - or do I need to get Visual Basic _ _ _ _

Question 3: What else do I need or should I have to make me more productive developing .NET web and client/server applications.  I used DAO in Access to update SQL Server tables.  Virtually everything I develop will be using SQL Server databases.

Any other  fussin', cussin', or discussin' or words of wisdom for a guy with 20 years of programming experience who wants to get into web development  and .NET would be appreciated!!! 

Thanx in advance for the Support!

Angelo

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:32 PM

Answers

• "Question 1:  I'm a little confused with the product name.  I'm going to omit abbreviations to be clear.  Is there a Visual Studio 2005 and a seperate product name Visual Studio .NET 2005 or is this two names for the same product?????  If they are not the same - I ASSUME I need to get Visual Studio .NET 2005. "

Answer: No both are the same this is only an illusion created by different people, Some say only Visual Studio.Net, Some Visual Studio 8 while Others Visual Studio 2005.

So the Basic thing is an IDE which supports you prgramming in .Net Environtment. So for you Visual Studio 2005 is Enough because it already means Visual Studio 8 and Visual Studio.Net!

Question 2: If I want to create a Client Server application, does Visual Studio _ _ _ _ handle this also - or do I need to get Visual Basic _ _ _ _

Answer: Visual Basic is a programming Langauge, Just like, Java, C, C++, C# etc... While Visual Studio is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) in which you can write code for many languages, C#, Visual Basic.Net, VC++.Net (Managed C++) etc.

So unlike in old days when we had to you Text Editor to write the code and complie it through command line compiler, Visual Studio Makes developer's life so easy, Just Write Code, Create Windows with Drag Drop, Write you code in that, Compile and Run using Simplest GUI possible.

If you are coming towards .Net so my Recommendation will be that you choose C# as a language of Choice, Which is easy, fast, Popular etc.

Question 3: What else do I need or should I have to make me more productive developing .NET web and client/server applications.  I used DAO in Access to update SQL Server tables.  Virtually everything I develop will be using SQL Server databases.

Just give a dive and see a great world of getting things done in only One Environtment and only one language with ease and lesser time of developement. You dont need anything else. This is question, whose answer you'll know yourself when you start programing in .Net.

So better Get Visual Studio Installed in your Computer and Have Some Good Beginer's C# book porbably Beginer's C# by Wrox Publishers and start reading and wrinting your applications.

I wish you best of Luck!

Best Regards,

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:52 PM
  • Great!

Thanx for the reply!  That really clarifies things for me.  I'm gonna get VS2005 now.

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 9:00 PM
  •  acm programmer wrote:

Great!

Thanx for the reply!  That really clarifies things for me.  I'm gonna get VS2005 now.

You are always more than Welcome, Please mark my above post as Answered!

Best regards,

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 9:04 PM

All replies

• "Question 1:  I'm a little confused with the product name.  I'm going to omit abbreviations to be clear.  Is there a Visual Studio 2005 and a seperate product name Visual Studio .NET 2005 or is this two names for the same product?????  If they are not the same - I ASSUME I need to get Visual Studio .NET 2005. "

Answer: No both are the same this is only an illusion created by different people, Some say only Visual Studio.Net, Some Visual Studio 8 while Others Visual Studio 2005.

So the Basic thing is an IDE which supports you prgramming in .Net Environtment. So for you Visual Studio 2005 is Enough because it already means Visual Studio 8 and Visual Studio.Net!

Answer: Visual Basic is a programming Langauge, Just like, Java, C, C++, C# etc... While Visual Studio is an IDE (Integrated Development Environment) in which you can write code for many languages, C#, Visual Basic.Net, VC++.Net (Managed C++) etc.

So unlike in old days when we had to you Text Editor to write the code and complie it through command line compiler, Visual Studio Makes developer's life so easy, Just Write Code, Create Windows with Drag Drop, Write you code in that, Compile and Run using Simplest GUI possible.

If you are coming towards .Net so my Recommendation will be that you choose C# as a language of Choice, Which is easy, fast, Popular etc.

Just give a dive and see a great world of getting things done in only One Environtment and only one language with ease and lesser time of developement. You dont need anything else. This is question, whose answer you'll know yourself when you start programing in .Net.

So better Get Visual Studio Installed in your Computer and Have Some Good Beginer's C# book porbably Beginer's C# by Wrox Publishers and start reading and wrinting your applications.

I wish you best of Luck!

Best Regards,

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 8:52 PM
  • Great!

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 9:00 PM
  •  acm programmer wrote:

Great!

You are always more than Welcome, Please mark my above post as Answered!

Best regards,

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 9:04 PM