azure reservations RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Hopefully this is a basic question:

I've just purchased a new reservation (reserved VM instances). How do i now spin up a VM and assign it to use the resources within this reservation? I can see reservation within the azure portal, which is a Standard_D2_v3 purchase via our Pay as you go subscription.

If i go to create a new VM, i only seem to have the option to assign it to that pay as you go subscription. I don't want to add it to the pay as you go subscription, i want to use the resources i've just paid for in the reserved VM instance.

I hope that makes sense, i feel as if i'm missing something obvious.

Cheers,

Matt

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 12:21 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You simply make sure you choose a VM size that matches the reserved instance you've purchased. 

Your usage will be reflected as a reserved instance rather than PAYG sizing for that VM. 

So in short, you still build the VM in the same way, you just wont be charged for VM usage, it will be put against your RI. ONCE THE SIZE MATCHES OF COURSE :)

Joe 

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:23 PM
  • In addition to Joe Carlyle reply, you can buy Azure Reserved Instances in the Azure portal. To buy a Reserved Instance:

·         You must be in an Owner role for at least one Enterprise or Pay-As-You-Go subscription.

·         For Enterprise subscriptions, Reserved Instance purchases must be enabled in the EA portal.

·         For Cloud Solution Provider (CSP) program only the admin agents or sales agents can purchase the Reserved Instances.

Refer the article .

As you have mentioned “want to use the resources i've just paid for in the reserved VM instance”, could you explain more on this?

• Edited by Nirushi J Thursday, June 14, 2018 8:37 AM
    Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:53 PM
  • Checking, if you have had a chance to check on this query?

Do let us know if you need any help.

Sunday, June 17, 2018 11:43 AM