Cannot make TextSearch example work RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

I'm trying to learn more about Azure Batch Service understanding how TextSearch example works.

The problem is that I cannot even execute it. I've followed the guide included in the Zip file, setting up the correct values on app.config file, but when I launch it it throws the following BatchException:

>TextSearch.exe -JobManagerTask

(...)

Rest api error
    The value of WorkItemName is null or empty

I didn't modify any TextSearch line code, so I'm totally stuck here.

Any clue on how to move on?

Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:27 PM

Answers

• In Azure Batch, CloudTasks, JobManagers and StartTasks all run _only_ in the VMs in a pool.

In the case of the -JobManagerTask argument, the code is trying to execute the JobManager code and is not finding the necessary environment variables (i.e.: workitem name set in constructor).

The variant that is meant to run on the local command line is selected with the "-SubmitWorkItem" argument.  

SubmitWorkItem demonstrates the calls necessary to construct a workitem (with auto pool) that has a JobManager (the -JobManagerTask argument is used for that by the system when it runs the JM).

Try running with the "-SubmitWorkItem" argument.  The other arguments are to be used inside Azure Batch VMs and are specified in the relevant task command lines.

daryl

Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:35 PM

All replies

• In Azure Batch, CloudTasks, JobManagers and StartTasks all run _only_ in the VMs in a pool.

In the case of the -JobManagerTask argument, the code is trying to execute the JobManager code and is not finding the necessary environment variables (i.e.: workitem name set in constructor).

The variant that is meant to run on the local command line is selected with the "-SubmitWorkItem" argument.  

SubmitWorkItem demonstrates the calls necessary to construct a workitem (with auto pool) that has a JobManager (the -JobManagerTask argument is used for that by the system when it runs the JM).

Try running with the "-SubmitWorkItem" argument.  The other arguments are to be used inside Azure Batch VMs and are specified in the relevant task command lines.

daryl

Thursday, November 20, 2014 9:35 PM
  • Great!

Using the "-SubmitWorkItem" it works like a charm

Thank you for your help!

Friday, November 21, 2014 10:04 AM