Draw a star with volume with Expression Design 2. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I'm trying to draw a star with volume. I draw the star and I trying to set volume with gradients to its border but I don't know how to do it?

Any advice?

Thank you!
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 11:19 AM

All replies

• Like this mean you?

Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:05 PM
  • Yes, more o less like this, with a rounded edge.
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:14 PM
  • Ok d'ok... here is at least one way:

1 - choose polygon shape (it's in the toolbox along with rectangle, ellipse, ... )

2 - draw shape onscreen

3 - make use of live adjustments to adjust (say) to 5 points, add a bit of percentage to take it from a polygon to a star, add a bit of a twirl if you wish

4 - adjust fill, stroke and so forth (a gradient stroke can be sweet), maybe even a dash of bevel?

(
    concept: 
    think upper (start) object
    think lower (end) object
    think blend paths inbetween
    )

5 - make another star and adjust fill, stroke effects, ... (a copy of the first seems a good idea)

6 - adjust stars so that they are slightly offset, overlapping and maybe add a dash of rotation to one or the other

7 - select both stars

8 - Object > Blend paths (experiment with numbers to get effect you wish)

9 - look in Object List panel (or is it Layer list panel?) and notice that there are three objects: the top star, bottom star and a group inbetween.  It is this group that gives a volume effect.  Each of these three objects can be adjusted and, of course, within the group object there are individual elements/objects that can be adjusted.  Twiddle these until contentment and harmony are manifest (ok Fred C - I still like wordage B-) )

10 - select bottom star and add a dash of drop shadow to give depth if you wish.

11 - post at least one example of your preferred construct to this newsgroup, discussion group, forum thingy

12 - make a stearn, solid and robust vow to help others as they have helped you :-)
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 1:47 PM
  • And for rounded corners...

after drawing out the star find the "convert anchor point" tool (it lives inside the Pen tool drop down flyout thingie)

click on each node point of the star

Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:33 AM
  • Twiddle these until contentment and harmony are manifest (ok Fred C - I still like wordage B-)
    Hey Deebs,

Words to live by; perfect!    :-)

Cheers,
    ~Fred
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:26 AM
  • Hello!

Following your instructions I've done this:

http://cid-98390030b835858e.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/P%C3%BAblico/estrella01.design

I followed the best that I can.

Thank you!
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:26 AM
  • Tres bien.

The .design is here

and it looks a bit like this

none - image
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:40 AM
  • Thanks!

I'm going to try to do it by myself.

See you!
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 9:45 AM
  • Ok d'ok

none - image
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 12:57 PM
  • This is what I've done:

http://cid-98390030b835858e.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/P%c3%bablico/estrella02.design

Any adviced would be appreciated.

Thank you!
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 4:54 PM
  • This was the closest I could come up with:

http://cid-120da1d6fc4472b9.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/estrella02.design

But I see what you did. You had two stars, one black and one white and you applied a "blend path" to both. When the stars have sharp points the blending path is applied correctly, however when I use the Convert Anchor Point tool to round off the edges to both stars and then apply the blending path the blend around the paths endpoints is skewed. That may be a bug so I'll talk to the developer team about it. Instead I just used a simple radial gradient on the outside star.

Will Buffington
    Microsoft Expression Support
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 8:36 PM
  • It is a good question well asked VansFannel.

I am glad you asked because I like to discover or rediscover stuff in ED.

I think the only insight that springs to mind is: spend three to four hours each day discovering what ED can do.

none - image

none - image

EDIT: ps - working with ED's bugs or mannerisms is also greatly creative.  The effect that tones down blended paths might also be equally responsible for the zebra stripes effect.  Such unpredictable stuff can be awesomely interesting.

none - image
    • Edited by BBB Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:59 PM thumbs up
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 10:42 PM
  • Well, and now the question is:

Where can I learn more about Expression Design? I saw the videos and the Quick Start Tutorial but maybe I need more.

The first thing that I need is lear graphic design: I don't know anything about it. Any book, video or online training to begin with?

Thank you very much for your answers.
    Friday, July 24, 2009 6:23 AM
  • It really depends if one wishes foremost to be a follower or a leader :)

I am sure there are great resources out there and moderators will probably provide details (blogs, videos, websites, ... )

One of the best resources is Creature House Expression 3.3 (a free preview now owned by Microsoft).  It is one of the grandparents of ED and the install has a PDF that is incredibly helpful.

I am sure Will or Annie or one of the moderators/contributors will give details of Microsoft support stuff.

As for me may I point you to

http://www.deebs.me.uk/

for less conventional insights (and probably greatly in need of updates)
    Friday, July 24, 2009 7:54 AM