none
Trying to find a Dell PERC 4e/Di SCSI Driver for Winpe 3.0 32-bit RRS feed

• Question

• We are installing Windows 2008 using the Winpe 3.0 environment which I understand is essentially a stripped down Windows 7.  All of my Dell Machines can be installed using this environment except two models that have the PERC 4e/Di Scsi Controllers.  I partition and format the drives in Winpe and kick off an install if Windows 2008.  I've created a Winpe 3.0 32-bit and Winpe 3.0 64-bit image.  I loaded the Dell Windows 2008 R2 (of course 64-bit) driver into the off line winpe 3.0 64-bit image and I'm able to successfully install Windows 2008 64-bit on a Dell 2800 with the Perc4e/Di SCSi Controller.  I'm not able to find a 32-bit driver to load into the 32-bit Winpe 3.0 image.  Would the inbox driver in Windows 2008 32-bit work?  If so, how do I extract that driver to load into the Winpe 32-bit offline image?   I've spoke to Dell support without any success because the technicans I've spoke to so far do not understand winpe. 

Thursday, January 7, 2010 2:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Teresa

Thank you for your post.

You can find more information on your issue in the following links:

·          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744395(WS.10).aspx 

·          http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766093(WS.10).aspx

I hope this information helps.

Thanks

Tanbir

Tuesday, February 9, 2010 8:14 PM
  • Hi Teresa - did you find the answer to this?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:56 PM
  • This is an old post, but I was trying to find the exact same answer and located this unanswered post while searching. I wanted to use Acronis to image the RAID mirror set attached to a PERC 4E/Di in our Poweredge 2850. I was able to make it work eventually with the Windows 2003 driver.

Log on to the Dell support site and locate the driver for Windows 2003 in the Poweredge 2850 area. This file is named "perc-cerc-w2k3-6.46.2.32-A05.exe" and is located in the "SCSI RAID" section.

Extract that file to a network share or USB drive and load oemsetup.inf via drvload. That should do the trick.

Hope that helps someone else trying to do this in the future.

Tom

Monday, February 27, 2012 4:21 PM
  • ...And your posting of 2012-0227, has just helped me, Tom.

The fact that someone else had taken the time off the beaten path with that 32-bit PERC4 driver set for Windows 2003 to determine that they also have worked for Windows 2008 32-bit (non-R2), finally has landed me some success.  I fetched it from the Dell site, extracted it, and Drvload'ed it into a WinPE session, and it worked without a hitch.

The problem with the Dell site is that it often does little to assist in documenting matching driver compatibility for some older hardware adapters, which were associated with a particular server class via the Dell Support Web-site selector.  If a user wants to utilize such an adapter typically equipped with an older class of server, but not necessarily associated with or marketed with a newer OS, the quite often the driver selection wizard does nothing to show that a driver has been tested on such hardware (as a PERC4/**) as being known to work on a newer OS than the unit may have been developed for initially.  The user may even have an application utilizing an older adapter fitted into a different vendor's server, and found to be a compatible PCIx adapter for the "foreign" box (as in the case of running U320 SCSI arrays and a PERC4 in a non-Dell unit).

Quite frustrating, to say the least.  At any rate, your decision to make that 2-year old post, has helped this someone else of late, who had trawled for months to reach a resolution.

-=rookzie=-

Sunday, January 19, 2014 7:11 AM