Unmerge changesets RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Is there such a thing as "Unmerge" in TFS. Say I cherry-picked chageset 12345 and merged it from DEV to MAIN and I realised that I do not want it any more, is there a way for me to unmerge it so that next time I try to do a merge, it shows up in the list.

I mean I could always roll back in the MAIN branch but then 12345 will not show up in my Merge List the next time I do a selective merge.

Also, is there a difference between a "tfpt rollback" and a Get Specific and then checkin?

regards,
    Satya
    Friday, November 14, 2008 8:10 PM

Answers

• Hello
    Satyajit said:

Is there such a thing as "Unmerge" in TFS. Say I cherry-picked chageset 12345 and merged it from DEV to MAIN and I realised that I do not want it any more, is there a way for me to unmerge it so that next time I try to do a merge, it shows up in the list.

I believe there's no such kind of command provided. Once you merged a changeset to a branch, TFS will consider you already merged this changeset even if you roll back the target branch.

Satyajit said:

Also, is there a difference between a "tfpt rollback" and a Get Specific and then checkin?

Rollback works in the same way as Get Specific and check-in. The source control tree always evolves forward. TFS doesn't discard changes checked in.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Proposed as answer by Bill.Wang Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:53 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bill.Wang Friday, November 21, 2008 2:13 AM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:52 AM
  • Ah, i did not know that. I havent had the need to use the rollback in tfpt yet. That seems silly to me. You are not really rolling back the changes then but just getting the previous changeset and checking that in. Should be tfpt /gpc  (get previous changeset).
    mjlarezzo | Measure twice, cut once
    Monday, November 17, 2008 4:40 PM

All replies

• I would think the rollback would just remove the changes from TFS instead of checking in the previous version over the latest like the Get Specific and checkin would do.

Have you check the tfpt rollback with the changeset option for your "unmerge" question? Not sure if that will restore your merge options though. Make sure you have the newest power tools, the Oct 08 version. If you need them, get them here :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=FBD14EEA-781F-45A1-8C46-9F6BA2F68BF0&displaylang=en
    Friday, November 14, 2008 9:31 PM
  • Actually when you rollback, it just puts the change in a "Pending" state and then you have to check it in. So e.g. if you have chagesets 1 thru 121 and you decide to rollback 121, TFS checks out the files for you. Now you need to check your stuff in to create changeset 122 - which is identical to 120
    Friday, November 14, 2008 10:02 PM
  • Ah, i did not know that. I havent had the need to use the rollback in tfpt yet. That seems silly to me. You are not really rolling back the changes then but just getting the previous changeset and checking that in. Should be tfpt /gpc  (get previous changeset).
    Monday, November 17, 2008 4:40 PM
  • Hello
    Satyajit said:

I believe there's no such kind of command provided. Once you merged a changeset to a branch, TFS will consider you already merged this changeset even if you roll back the target branch.

Satyajit said:

Rollback works in the same way as Get Specific and check-in. The source control tree always evolves forward. TFS doesn't discard changes checked in.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 3:52 AM