none
ELM Shell launcher crashes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm using the ELM to make windows start a specific program instead of explorer.exe after logon, so I use the shell launcher to start a specific executable as a certain user. This executable is a launcher in itself which closes itself after launching a specific program.

When I'm in the properties of that ''shell'', I have set the ''unexpected close action'' on ''do nothing''.

However, when the launcher closes, I'm getting an error message from the shell launcher that is has stopped working.

Well obviously it has stopped working, because its job is done, however, I'm getting this annoying window in front of our own application:

If the ''unexpected close action'' is set at ''restart application'', then our launcher is repeatedly getting restarted, but the shell launcher does not crash. Somehow the ''do nothing'' command causes shell launcher to crash...

How do I stop this annoying error to pop up ?

• Edited by snovvdog Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:11 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:01 AM

All replies

• I have in the end worked around this problem by manually editing the shell in the registry, since the ELM is a mess...

( HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon) the Shell string.

• Edited by snovvdog Monday, November 16, 2015 9:30 AM
    Monday, November 16, 2015 9:28 AM
  • Regarding the ELM problem I have no idea what gone wrong. In addition to your workaround you may also read this article to find out how to start a sepcific shell for a specific user (the key you mentoined above applies to everyone).
    Thursday, November 19, 2015 8:10 AM