Power Pivot is driving me crazy RRS feed

• Question

• Could some one please help? I am about to explode. I followed the instructions on MS site on how to down load the Power Pivot (PP) add-in. Nothing seems to work. I have never be frusrated as I am now with Ms Excel. I am stack and no one seems to understand my issue.

I have existing excel file. I tried to run a normal Pivot table using PP, but expereicing hunderds of problems. In a normanl PT menu, I can run a PT and alll seems to fine, but as soon as I click PP, and tried to link my open excel file, I can see the table is created, and can also see the fieled pan. Then after few minutes, I get the following error." Initiation of the data source failed!.

I then closed the same excel file and tried to import it. I then got the following error message"Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A01A8". When I tried to test the connection I got another error" External table is not in the expected format"

This time I lost all my hope. I unstalled PP and reinstall it hoping that it may work. I have none of the luck again.

Why is MS made such complicate to install such a simple add-in? But what frustrate me is there is no helpline for erorrs.

What I am doign wrong? Why is my existing spreaddsheet file which was created in exxcel 2007 is not in the format table?

Why I am keep lossing the connection to the source data? I am on last breath before I completely delete this none sense of PP. I have spent over  aweek to resolve this issue. This is my last thraw.

Kamal-1

• Moved by Deepak Puri Tuesday, September 13, 2011 1:46 PM Question concerns PP install / config (From:SQL Server Analysis Services)
    • Edited by Kamal-1 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:45 PM Moved byDeepak PuriMVP6 hours 58 minutes agoQuestion concerns PP install / config (From:SQL Server Analysis Services)
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 11:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Kamal-1,

PowerPivot is an add-in for Microsoft Excel 2010 that enables you to import millions of rows of data from multiple data sources into a single Excel workbook, create relationships between heterogeneous data, create calculated columns and measures using formulas, build PivotTables and PivotCharts, and then further analyze the data so that you can make timely business decisions without requiring IT assistance.

If your bussiness does not need it, there is no need to install it, if you want to analysis your data using the powerpivot, you can follow this link to install  the PowerPivot http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210599.aspx in advance.

Then you should import data from different datasource, PowerPivot supports importing data from a variety of sources, including: SQL Server databases, Analysis Services cubes, Access databases, Excel worksheets, text files, data feeds, and more. For a full list of supported data sources, see Data Sources Supported in PowerPivot Workbooks.

I also notice that your error show up while importing the data, so I would recommend refer to this about diffrent kinds of importing data methods at this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg413468.aspx 

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Edited by Challen Fu Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Challen Fu Sunday, September 25, 2011 8:23 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:54 AM
  • If you used pivot tables in Excel 2007, then PowerPivot is worth the effort required to get started.  You have managed to get PowerPivot installed (which is difficult for some).  I am not sure I understand what you are doing so here are a few suggestions:

- You might try starting with a new Excel workbook and getting use to how PowerPivot works.  If you get failures, crashes, exceptions ... then there is something basic wrong with your installation.

- You might also downloading the Microsoft Contuso PowerPIvot sample.  It contains a good paper as well as an Excel file you could use to with PowerPivot.

- Standard Excel pivot tables and PowerPivot Pivot Tables are separate and different things.  You can still use standard pivot tables in Excel 2010, but the the Powerpivot tab (ribbon) and PowerPivot Window are not associate with them. 

Hope this helps a little ...

bob mick
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Kamal-1,

PowerPivot is an add-in for Microsoft Excel 2010 that enables you to import millions of rows of data from multiple data sources into a single Excel workbook, create relationships between heterogeneous data, create calculated columns and measures using formulas, build PivotTables and PivotCharts, and then further analyze the data so that you can make timely business decisions without requiring IT assistance.

If your bussiness does not need it, there is no need to install it, if you want to analysis your data using the powerpivot, you can follow this link to install  the PowerPivot http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee210599.aspx in advance.

Then you should import data from different datasource, PowerPivot supports importing data from a variety of sources, including: SQL Server databases, Analysis Services cubes, Access databases, Excel worksheets, text files, data feeds, and more. For a full list of supported data sources, see Data Sources Supported in PowerPivot Workbooks.

I also notice that your error show up while importing the data, so I would recommend refer to this about diffrent kinds of importing data methods at this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg413468.aspx 

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Edited by Challen Fu Thursday, September 15, 2011 8:51 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:54 AM
  • If you used pivot tables in Excel 2007, then PowerPivot is worth the effort required to get started.  You have managed to get PowerPivot installed (which is difficult for some).  I am not sure I understand what you are doing so here are a few suggestions:

- You might try starting with a new Excel workbook and getting use to how PowerPivot works.  If you get failures, crashes, exceptions ... then there is something basic wrong with your installation.

- You might also downloading the Microsoft Contuso PowerPIvot sample.  It contains a good paper as well as an Excel file you could use to with PowerPivot.

- Standard Excel pivot tables and PowerPivot Pivot Tables are separate and different things.  You can still use standard pivot tables in Excel 2010, but the the Powerpivot tab (ribbon) and PowerPivot Window are not associate with them. 

Hope this helps a little ...

bob mick
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:31 AM