none
default objects in access 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• In Access 2003, when I worked on an object, for ex., a form or a report, if I switched to another object type, then back, the last object I worked on was highlighted, making it easy to continue working with.

Now, in Access 2013, when I switch between object types, the first object on the list is always highlighted, so I am always scrolling down to the object I am working on to continue working.

By way of example, if I am working on ReportX, then switch to tables to do something, then switch back to reports, ReportA is highlighted, and to get back to ReportX I have to scroll down and find it.

Is there any way to make Access 2013 work more like Access 2003, so when I switch between object types, the last object worked on is the object highlighted (selected as it were) on the list?

Thanks in advance for any help.  --Fred

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 7:26 PM

All replies

• Not that I'm aware of, but if you use the tabbed document format and don't close down that report, you can easily access it from the tabs at the top of the design window.

-- Scott McDaniel, Microsoft Access MVP

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 2:01 AM
  • Hello,

Do you mean the object would be highlighted in navigation pane? Could you share a screen shot? 

In my test, only the selected object would be highlighted in the navigation pane. Access would not highlight the first or last object when i switch to another object. 

Regards,

Celeste 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Sunday, November 26, 2017 8:52 AM
  • The Navigation Pane differs radically from the old Database Window of earlier versions, and as Celeste has pointed out, has no 'memory' of the previous object selected, whatever its type.  If you are switching between different objects in design view, don't close one down when moving to another.  You can either keep them open on separate tabs as Scott suggests, or if you are using 'overlapping windows' format, you can minimize one while you work on another.  The minimized object will be docked at the bottom of the Access application window, from where you can restore it with one mouse click when you need to revert to it.  The minimized or tabbed objects can be of the same type of course, so you could have two reports and a table open at the same time for instance.

Ken Sheridan, Stafford, England

• Edited by Ken Sheridan Sunday, November 26, 2017 9:47 PM Typo corrected.
    • Proposed as answer by Terry Xu - MSFT Monday, November 27, 2017 12:27 AM
    Sunday, November 26, 2017 9:45 PM