none
Deploy .Net 3.5 RRS feed

• Question

• Do any of you know how MS expects us to deploy these amazing .Net 3.5 applications?  I really doubt that I'm the only one that has been building with the betas, purchased a copy of VS 2008 and now wants to deploy my code into production.  Because I doubt that I'm the only one in my position, I'm surprised that it's so difficult to find an MSI to use to deploy through Group Policy, or some other way to push out 3.5 to everyone in my domain.

What am I missing? 

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2505914&SiteID=1 that thread says that there is no deployment option available.  What?  How does that happen?  I shouldn't have to result to psexec in order to deploy the latest version of the framework.

Don't get me wrong - I'm glad that MS RTM'd VS2008, but doing so without a deployment method...that's like saying "here's a new corvette, but there's only enough gas to drive around your neighborhood."

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 10:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

As far as I know, the documentation for how to deploy .NET Framework 3.5 is currently still being reviewed, but it should be posted and available on MSDN soon.

I will come back with a link to the updated documentation once it is available. 

I'm sorry for the inconvienience caused to you in the meantime.

Thanks

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:04 AM
  •  

Any updates on this documentation?  Release date?

Thanks,

Chris

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 4:53 PM
  • You can now find deployment guides for system administrators and application developers on MSDN.  Aaron Stebner's blog has more info: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/01/25/7249161.aspx

In particular, the Deployment Guide for Application Developers is here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc160716.aspx

And the Deployment Guide for Administrators is here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc160717.aspx

Hope this helps,

Nick Doty - MSFT

Saturday, January 26, 2008 3:00 AM
  • No offense, but the deployment "guide" for administrators is about as poorly written a guide as I have had the misfortune to read and / or try to implement.  I have yet to get it to work, and the closest I have gotten produced broken installations on every computer in my network that were unable to display images in wpf applications. 

The sample script doesn't work, if you run it, the x86 directories for .net 2.0 sp1 & .net 3.0 sp1 are empty.  If you try to run the manual commands to extract the files for 2.0 and 3.0 installations, they fail....even from a cut and paste from the "guide".  What is anyone supposed to do with that nonsense?

Why is it that .Net is a Microsoft technology, Windows Installer is a Microsoft Technology, and Active Directory is a Microsoft technology, and Microsoft can't produce an installer for .Net 3.5 deployment that simply works, without all the BS in those "guides"....which also don't work.

Thanks to the "guides", I am currently working on a script that will run the .net cleanup tool on every machine in my network, then a script to try and run the dotnetfx35.exe installer to try to get a fresh working installation.

Seriously, is this perhaps a hint as to why .Net has never taken off the way it should have?
    Tuesday, March 4, 2008 5:52 PM
  •  

Sorry to hear about the trouble you've run into!  I've passed on this very useful feedback to the authors of those documents.

Thanks,

Nick Doty - MSFT

Tuesday, March 4, 2008 11:40 PM
  • Thanks for seeing the frustration through the rant.  I've been working on this for almost a week now, and I've got some angry users on my hands.  I did manage to get a combiniation vbs logon script / batch file that runs the .net clean up tool and the 3.5 redistributable installer going.  However, I just don't think it should have come to that, especially considering we are dealing with MS technologies all the way around.  It's pretty tough to sell .net, if MS can't even get it to play nice with it's own stuff!
    Wednesday, March 5, 2008 1:15 PM
  • I thought I might throw my couple of pence into this problem. I'm also planning on doing this before weeks end (deploying new software and several terminal servers) and it's a royal pain in the arse.

I've deployed other stuff through a software deployment policy, but never .NET and I've got to say - it's awful Sad
    Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:54 PM