none
How well does SQL Server DM handle NLP scenarios? RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to start work on an ambitious robotics project in which a robot will have to converse with a number of different people. It will essentially be a chatbot, but I wanted it to be a little cleverer than just an eliza-type chatbot. I was thinking of using SQL Server 2008 and the DM tools but wanted to know if anyone has used them for NLP and what kind of success they had in this sceanrio?

Thanks in advance for your input.
    custsolutions
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:46 PM

All replies

• SQL Server DM has limited text capabilities.  It has Term Extraction and Lookup transforms that identify nouns and noun phrases that can be used as a preprocessing step for the data mining algorithms.  Since the text mining capabilities lack sentiment analysis, or even verbs, it's not likely to meet your needs.  If you have other means of preprocessing the text into tokens, than the algorithms are likely suitable for any usage you wish - e.g. Neural Nets will be suitable for any NN-type language processing issues, etc.
    -- Jamie MacLennan -- SQL Server Data Mining -- http://blogs.msdn.com/jamiemac
    Friday, January 16, 2009 10:37 PM