none
Access 2016 Automatically Creates Copies Upon Exit RRS feed

• Question

• I have an access database that is sometimes used by me and sometimes by my analyst.  The original file was called "Investments".  Then it created a new copy (by itself) called Database.  Every now and then it creates a new copy and the name is Database2, Databse3, Database4 (increase by 1 digit point each time).

Why is this happening?  How can I stop this?  

Thanks!

Monday, September 25, 2017 9:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Sharon,

This could be a sign of possible corruption. You should immediately create a full backup of your database. What is happening is Access probably encounters and error it cannot recover from. So, the application tries to restart itself but it creates a backup copy in the process. The extra files is an indication of a recurring problem. If you have good backups of your application, you might want to replace the one you're using with a fresh copy.

Just my 2 cents...

Monday, September 25, 2017 9:44 PM
  • Hi Sharon,

To check whether it is related with this specific database, I suggest you create a new database, will this issue exist?

If it is related with this specific database, I suggest you check whether there is any code in it which creates the copy database.

If possible, it would be helpful if you could share us your file.

Best Regards,

Edward

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 28, 2017 9:03 AM