MSSQLServer OLAP Service crashes now and then RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

SSAS seems to crash now and then and application log fills with :

System: Sql-server 2008 (x64) SP1 , Windows 2003 Server (x64)

The description for Event ID ( 22 ) in Source ( MSSQLServerOLAPService ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Internal error: An unexpected exception occured. Internal error: An unexpected exception occured. Internal error: An unexpected exception occured. Internal error: An unexpected exception occured..

The SQL Server Analysis Services is getting terminated unexpectedly and we are unable to connect to SSAS through SSMS(Management Studio) on the server.

We have gone through few articles in net and what we could find was:

We have to start using Windows Low Fragmentation Heap instead of the OLAP Heap, OLAP Heap is not as stable as Windows, especially if we have a large OLAP database. We need to change the server properties in the msmdsrv.ini file. To fix the OLAP heap corruption issue, we will need to use the following settings to let the Analysis Services use the Windows Low Fragmentation Heap instead of the OLAP heap.

MemoryHeapType: has to be set to 2

HeapTypeForObjects: has to be set to 0

Have anyone faced similar issues with Analysis Services srever before? Will the above mentioned changes help in resolving the issue we are facing?

Any comments on this is very much appreciated.

~Adrian

Thursday, June 10, 2010 11:04 AM

Answers

• I suggest you open a ticket with Microsoft Product support. They will be able to take a dump and analyse what is happening .

Ashwani Roy

My BI Blog

My Entity Framework Blog

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

• Marked as answer by Raymond-Lee Friday, June 18, 2010 8:27 AM
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:55 PM
    Answerer