Are BAMTools a pre-requisite for EDI/AS2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, on a 32 bit system I have I found that I needed to install BAMTools to install EDI/AS2. On another system I have opted to not install anything to do with BAM. On the Configuration app it does warn you to install BAM Tools if you want EDI/AS2 status reporting.  So I'm thinking I should be fine; no BAM but I can have EDI.

Configuration fails :-(  Looking through the log it seems to be whining about the vary same BAMTools I asked it NOT to configure :-( 

Are BAMTools in fact a prerequisite for EDI/AS2 ?

Bts 2k10, SQl2k8R2, 64bit

thanks

mark

mark
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 9:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    Sometimes it appears great’s challenges in BizTalk Forums :) and that’s for me is the best thing…

Is BAM Tools a pre-requisite for EDI/AS2?
    The correct answer is NO.

BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime is divided in 3 functionalities:

• BizTalk EDI Functionality
    • BizTalk AS2 Functionality
    • BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime Status Reporting

For the last two functionalities “AS2” and “EDI/AS2 Runtime Status Reporting”, BAM Tools must be configured! -  so it's a pre-requisite

But if you want ONLY EDI functionality you don´t need BAM Tools

Proof of concept:
    I create a machine only with SQL installed (no Analysis Services and no Integration Services)
    After installed BizTalk with this components:

BizTalk Components

I opened Microsoft BizTalk Server Configuration and selected “Custom configuration” option

BizTalk Custom Configuration

Note: BAM Tools appears on the right tree, because this is necessary only for AS2 and EDI/AS2 Status Reporting feature.

Configure the following components:

• “Enterprise SSO”
                  Enterprise SSO Secret Backup
    • Group
    • BizTalk Runtime
    • Business Rules Engine
    • And BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime with only this two options selected:
    BizTalk EDI Configuration

Leave “BAM Tools” and “Bam Alerts” Disable.

BizTalk BAM Tools Configuration

Configuration Summary

BizTalk Configuration Wizard Summary
    BizTalk Configuration Wizard Result
    BizTalk Configuration Overview
    Sandro Pereira Blog: http://sandroaspbiztalkblog.wordpress.com/ Please mark as answered if this answers your question.
    • Proposed as answer by Rohit.SharmaModerator Monday, June 13, 2011 12:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by MarkTR Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:48 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 12:00 PM
  • In BizTalk Server 2006 R2, BAM was not required for EDI/AS2. However, BizTalk Server 2010 requires you to have BAM configured for EDI/AS2.

______ Nitin Mehrotra, BizTalk Server CCxG, http://blogs.msdn.com/nitinme/
    • Proposed as answer by Dan Rosanova Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by MarkTR Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:16 PM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi Mark,

Considerations for Configuring the BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime

When you configure the BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime in BizTalk Server 2010, consider the following:

Enterprise SSO, Group, and BizTalk Runtime must be configured prior to configuring BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime.

BAM must be configured prior to configuring the AS2 and EDI/AS2 Runtime Status Reporting features.

If you are only configuring EDI, then BAM is not required.

more info here,

Sandro Pereira Blog: http://sandroaspbiztalkblog.wordpress.com/ Please mark as answered if this answers your question.
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:38 AM
  • Sandro,

>>>If you are only configuring EDI, then BAM is not required.

yes that is what I expect but I've never managed to do it.  If I do install BAM then I can install EDI. I'm basically just querying if the statement is correct; i.e. has anyone got Bts 2010 edi to go in without BAM?

thks

m

mark
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Sandro is correct. I have not tries it for BizTalk Server 2010 but on BizTalk Server 2006 R2 I am able to configure the following part of 'BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime' without Configuring BAM Tools:

·         Enable BizTalk EDI for this BizTalk group

o    After adding my default host Receive Handler for SQL.

·         Enable BizTalk AS2 for this BizTalk group

But when tries to configure:

·         Enable BizTalk EDI /AS2 Runtime status reporting for this BizTalk group

·         Got this warning message

o    BAM Tools is not configured for this BizTalk group, and BAM Tools is not selected to be configured.  If you want to enable Status Reporting functionalities for this group, you will need to configure BAM Tools first. (Microsoft.BizTalk.Configuration.EDIAS2.EDIAS2Config)

Mark As Answer or Vote As Helpful if My Reply Does, Regards, -Rohit
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:53 PM
  • I'm exactly in the same position as Rohit Sharma :)

I only set up this scenario in BizTalk Server 2006 R2, unfortunately I don’t have my 2010 lab machine with me to test but I think is the same as 2006 R2

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:23 PM
  • In BizTalk Server 2006 R2, BAM was not required for EDI/AS2. However, BizTalk Server 2010 requires you to have BAM configured for EDI/AS2.

______ Nitin Mehrotra, BizTalk Server CCxG, http://blogs.msdn.com/nitinme/
    • Proposed as answer by Dan Rosanova Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:40 PM
    • Marked as answer by MarkTR Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:16 PM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Hi,

Sorry to disagree, I may be wrong, but “BizTalk Server 2010 requires you to have BAM configured for EDI/AS2” that's not entirely true.

BizTalk Server 2010 requires you to have BAM configured for EDI/AS2 only if you want “EDI/AS2 Status Reporting Functionalities”

Check Configuring EDI/AS2 Runtime Using the BizTalk Server Configuration

So you can have “BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime” without BAM and without “Status Reporting Functionalities”

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Hi,

that agrees with what I've observed.  Someone else here came to the same conclusion today

cheers

mark

mark
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:18 PM
  •  

well, after installing sql client tools on my cofiguration server, I was able configure BAMTools (not Alerts) and EDI/AS2 was configured straight after.  Not proof but you definitely seem to have an easier ride with SQL Client Tools installed; then BAMTools and finally EDI.

m

mark
    Friday, June 10, 2011 3:58 PM
  • Hi,
    Sometimes it appears great’s challenges in BizTalk Forums :) and that’s for me is the best thing…

Is BAM Tools a pre-requisite for EDI/AS2?
    The correct answer is NO.

BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime is divided in 3 functionalities:

• BizTalk EDI Functionality
    • BizTalk AS2 Functionality
    • BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime Status Reporting

For the last two functionalities “AS2” and “EDI/AS2 Runtime Status Reporting”, BAM Tools must be configured! -  so it's a pre-requisite

But if you want ONLY EDI functionality you don´t need BAM Tools

Proof of concept:
    I create a machine only with SQL installed (no Analysis Services and no Integration Services)
    After installed BizTalk with this components:

BizTalk Components

I opened Microsoft BizTalk Server Configuration and selected “Custom configuration” option

BizTalk Custom Configuration

Note: BAM Tools appears on the right tree, because this is necessary only for AS2 and EDI/AS2 Status Reporting feature.

Configure the following components:

• “Enterprise SSO”
                  Enterprise SSO Secret Backup
    • Group
    • BizTalk Runtime
    • Business Rules Engine
    • And BizTalk EDI/AS2 Runtime with only this two options selected:
    BizTalk EDI Configuration

Leave “BAM Tools” and “Bam Alerts” Disable.

BizTalk BAM Tools Configuration

Configuration Summary

BizTalk Configuration Wizard Summary
    BizTalk Configuration Wizard Result
    BizTalk Configuration Overview
    • Proposed as answer by Rohit.SharmaModerator Monday, June 13, 2011 12:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by MarkTR Wednesday, June 15, 2011 3:48 PM
    Monday, June 13, 2011 12:00 PM
  • Sandro,

thanks for all that effort!  I've marked you an an answerer as well!

now that does mean I've marked that you *can* install EDI without BAMTools and that you *cannot* :-(  I think there is  a logical contradiction there somewhere.

There are complications thougjh. The problem that I had originally is that the Configuration failed on BAMTools even though I had not asked it to configure it.  I suspect that no matter what you select in the Configurator some part of BAMTools is configured regardless.  The reason this gave me grief is that initially I didn't have SQL Client Tools on that box.

I got this error:

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Data Transformation Services (DTS) for BAM
    Archiving is not installed on the local machine.
    (Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.CfgExtHelper.ToolsHelper)

Additional information
    Count not load file or assembly ‘Microsoft.SqlServer.ManagedDTS,
    Version=9.0.242.0 

I was on a 64 bit system, I didn't install Notificfation Services 2005 (as some suggest), installing client tools (and BAMTools) did the trick for me.

I know you didn't install integration servcices but you did install the SQL Management Studio (I bet).

Did you preserve your configuration log on that box?

m

mark
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Yes I did  installed the SQL Management Studio.

I perform several experiences (install and uninstall some features), but I believe this is the correct log.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16742382/logs.txt

*can* and *cannot*

Although the BAM Tools is an optional requirement and even if you don’t use AS2 functionalities, I advise you to install and configure in order to benefit of all EDI functionalities that BizTalk Server 2010 has to offer you.

And I agree in a comment post in my blog by Manoj Agarwal: “status reporting is a crucial part of EDI, so for production environment BAM Tools is required for EDI.”

Thursday, June 16, 2011 10:01 AM