snapped/portrait/landscape views required?

Question

• Are the snapped view, portrait, and landscape views all required for windows store approval?  If so does the snapped view have to be functional or can it be like the windows store was and just show an icon in snapped view?
    • Edited by jnystrom2 Saturday, June 02, 2012 3:23 AM
    Saturday, June 02, 2012 12:04 AM

Answers

• I confirmed that "functional" here is that the app needs to be able to snap and unsnap successfully. It doesn't need to actually do anything when snapped, so long as it resumes normal operation when unsnapped. An app which works like the store app could be approved.

To write a great app I would definitely try to make the app useful in snapped state rather than just showing a logo.

--Rob

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 9:44 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi JNystrom2,

Certification requirement 3.6 requires:

Your app must support a snapped layout. In landscape orientation, your app’s functions must be fully accessible when the app’s display size is 1024 x 768. Your app must remain functional when the customer snaps and unsnaps the app.

I'm checking to see if we can get more details on what "functional" means here, but if you want a great app (rather than just the minimum to pass certification) then you should fully support landscape, portrait, and snapped views.

--Rob

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 12:43 AM
    Owner
  • I confirmed that "functional" here is that the app needs to be able to snap and unsnap successfully. It doesn't need to actually do anything when snapped, so long as it resumes normal operation when unsnapped. An app which works like the store app could be approved.

To write a great app I would definitely try to make the app useful in snapped state rather than just showing a logo.

--Rob

Wednesday, June 06, 2012 9:44 PM
    Owner
  • Really lame that the store is (currently?) setting a bad example here, though. Shouldn't the store itself be the best example of the sort of "great" app that could be featured in the store?
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 9:30 PM