none
window.open() behaves differently on task pane add-in on Mac Excel client RRS feed

• Question

• I'm developing a task pane add-in for Excel.  On the home page of the add-in, I use window.open() to open a child browser window for the user to login a 3rd party service and get oauth token to authenticate later calls to the 3rd party web service.  On Excel for Windows, iPad, and Excel Online, it behaves consistently so that in the child window, when I store some flags in the window.localStorage, the parent window gets it.  However, on Excel for Mac, instead of opening a child browser window, it opens a new tab on the existing full browser (Chrome in my case).  At the end of the login session, when it stores some flag in the window.localStorage, the parent page (i.e., add-in's home page running inside Excel for Mac) can't get it.  I think this is because the browser hosting the add-in inside Excel for Mac is Safari and it doesn't share the same localStorage with Chrome.

Why window.open() behaves differently on Excel for Mac comparing to other platforms?  Could someone recommend a workaround?  Thanks!

Thursday, September 1, 2016 11:08 AM

All replies