none
Seeding a Hyper Backup destination for Synology NAS

Question

• I am setting up Hyper Backup on a Synology NAS to backup to Azure.  I've created the Azure account and storage container.  Using Hyper Backup I created a seed drive which I would like to send in to speed-up the backup process.  How can I get this process started, and do you have instructions for what I need to do in Azure after the seed drive data has been copied?  I know how to set up Hyper Backup on the NAS, I just need to know what needs to be done in the Azure Portal.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:30 AM

All replies

• Once you have created the storage account and container, you should be able to get your access key from the storage account in the azure portal. There is a guide here - https://synoguide.com/2015/12/21/back-up-your-synology-on-microsoft-azure/
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:34 AM
  • Yes, I've setup the Synology NAS already and did an initial backup to an external drive.  I already have the access key and everything else I need to setup Hyper Backup with Azure, but I want to use that initial backup drive as a seed since the backup is over 1.5TB.  My questions are: 1. How do I send in the seed drive?  2. Once the seed drive is copied into Azure, what steps will I need to take on the Azure portal to import the data so that Hyper Backup will seamlessly adding to the seeded backup?

Thanks,

Robert

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 2:38 AM
  • This is more of a Synology question. You would probably get a better answer on the Synology forums, especially for your second question. Or you can test it out.

You can try use AzCopy to upload the data to the storage account. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-use-azcopy

• Proposed as answer by Md Shihab Thursday, December 22, 2016 4:51 AM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 3:14 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  However this really isn't a Synology question as I have all the steps that need to be done on the Synology device.  What I am looking for is what I need to do in the Azure Portal once the seed drive has reached Microsoft and they have transferred the data to my account.

Thanks,

Robert

Thursday, December 22, 2016 6:44 PM
  • (1) You can upload the data to Azure using AzCopy as the other person suggested. Or, are you using Azure import-export service? (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/storage/storage-import-export-service)

(2) Once the disk is imported via the above process, you will see the data in your account at the location you specified. If necessary, you can copy the data to another account / container, depending on wherever it needs to be for Hyper Backup to see it. You will likely need clarification from Synology about what needs to be done for Hyper Backup to start using the seed files present in your Azure storage container.

• Proposed as answer by Md Shihab Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:58 AM
    Saturday, December 24, 2016 7:29 PM