What license(s) should i procure, to build on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional & Visual Studio Light Switch RRS feed

• Question

• 1) If i want to build and sell(only application installables like dlls and data base), small PRODUCTS (but not services) (as a freelancer) based on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, and latest Microsoft Visual Studio Light Switch, what license(s) should i procure(in my name), in India (though i am not sure licensing will be country based) ?

2) How can i get the license(s) at low cost?

3) In case if i hold a license and build the product, then what all are the license(s), my clients should possess? Ex: If i build a medical billing software, do my client need to have license for Microsoft Visual Studio Light Switch or Microsoft SQL Server 2008 ?

4) Can i use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express, at the deployment site( my client) or if my clients need to procure a license for Data base, then what version of SQL Server 2008 whould be cheaper?

5) What is MSDN subscription is all about? Do i really need to subscribe to MSDN to be able to sell my products?

Thanks in advance,

Monday, May 14, 2012 4:54 PM

Answers

• #1:

You must have a license for each product that you will be using during your development and testing.  You can acquire these licenses individually or you can obtain an MSDN Subscription that provides access to all of the products.  MSDN subscriptions are available in a variety of levels depending on the products and resources you need.  A comparison can be found here:

Your posting mentioned Visual Studio, LightSwitch and SQL Server.  The minimum subscription is therefore Visual Studio Professional with MSDN.  This is the minimum subscription that includes all of the products you mentioned in your posting, and that includes multiple versions of those products (e.g., SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2012, etc.).

Visual Studio and MSDN Subscriptions must be purchased through a reseller in India.

#2) How can i get the license(s) at low cost?

There are several programs to help you get Microsoft development software for free or at lower cost.  Look into BizSpark (http://www.bizspark.com/) if you are a startup, or WebsiteSpark (http://www.microsoft.com/web/websitespark/) if you want to reconsider building web software.  Both provide free MSDN subscriptions and a rich set of supporting resources for qualified companies.  Note: WebsiteSpark does not include LightSwitch.

If you do not qualify for those, I suggest looking into the Microsoft Partner Network (https://partner.microsoft.com/global/partner).  You may be eligible to enroll and purchase a Microsoft Action Pack Development and Design subscription.  Plus you get other benefits of being a partner, such as training and resources for selling yourself.

If all that fails, ask your reseller about purchasing under the Microsoft Open License Program.  Open License is a volume licensing program that allows you to purchase multiple Microsoft products at a discount.  You can qualify for as low as 5 licenses of any product sold through the program (not just Visual Studio -- you can stock up on other products to qualify for the minimum license purchase).

#3)

It is unlikely that your customers will need a license for Visual Studio (or LightSwitch), assuming that you are building and delivering a finished product.  Certain runtime components like the .NET Framework and Silverlight are freely distributable or available as a free download.

Of course, your customers will need a compatible version of Visual Studio (or LightSwitch) if you are giving them the source code to your application as part of your freelancing contract.  Your customers must acquire those licenses separately.  The only other (fringe) exception would be a case where you are writing a developer tool that fully integrates with Visual Studio Shell services, which could require your end-users to have Professional edition or higher.

SQL Server 2008 is a different product and has its own licensing and installation requirements.  See next question.

#4a) Can i use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express, at the deployment site( my client)

You may freely distribute SQL Server 2008 Express with your software and you may install it at your deployment site.  Note that you may want to evaluate SQL Server 2012, which also has a freely distributable edition with many new features over 2008.

#4b) or if my clients need to procure a license for Data base, then what version of SQL Server 2008 whould be cheaper?

It is not cost but rather functionality that will determine whether your customers need a licensed copy of SQL Server beyond the free editions.  Each edition has different capabilities and during your development you will need to decide which capabilities to use.  For example, the free editions do not support full-text and semantic searches.  If you happen to require full-text search, then at a minimum you will need to target the Standard edition (or code your application to fall back to basic functionality), and in turn your customers will need to own the equivalent or higher licenses.  Go here for research and comparisons:

If Express is insufficient for your application, then Standard is good for the vast majority of small/medium applications. 

#5) What is MSDN subscription is all about? Do i really need to subscribe to MSDN to be able to sell my products?

An MSDN Subscription provides access to a massive range of Microsoft products as well as resources such as e-learning, professional technical support, Azure promos, and other benefits.  You do not need a subscription to sell your products, but a subscription is cost-effective way to develop and test against the full Microsoft platform. Go here for a comparison of different options:

However, due to regional restrictions you must purchase your subscription from a reseller in India as noted above.

Good luck!

Friday, May 25, 2012 6:06 AM

All replies

• 1) If i want to build and sell(only application installables like dlls and data base), small PRODUCTS (but not services) (as a freelancer) based on Microsoft Visual Studio 2010, and latest Microsoft Visual Studio Light Switch, what license(s) should i procure(in my name), in India (though i am not sure licensing will be country based) ?

You will have to contact the Microsoft Local Reseller for Retail and MSDN Products.

2) How can i get the license(s) at low cost?

Same as above

3) In case if i hold a license and build the product, then what all are the license(s), my clients should possess? Ex: If i build a medical billing software, do my client need to have license for Microsoft Visual Studio Light Switch or Microsoft SQL Server 2008 ?

I would say for both as both the products are different.

4) Can i use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express, at the deployment site( my client) or if my clients need to procure a license for Data base, then what version of SQL Server 2008 whould be cheaper?

Same as above

5) What is MSDN subscription is all about? Do i really need to subscribe to MSDN to be able to sell my products?

MSDN (Microsoft Developer Network) - More info.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa537127.aspx

Friday, May 18, 2012 6:53 PM
  • #1:

You must have a license for each product that you will be using during your development and testing.  You can acquire these licenses individually or you can obtain an MSDN Subscription that provides access to all of the products.  MSDN subscriptions are available in a variety of levels depending on the products and resources you need.  A comparison can be found here:

Your posting mentioned Visual Studio, LightSwitch and SQL Server.  The minimum subscription is therefore Visual Studio Professional with MSDN.  This is the minimum subscription that includes all of the products you mentioned in your posting, and that includes multiple versions of those products (e.g., SQL Server 2008, SQL Server 2012, etc.).

Visual Studio and MSDN Subscriptions must be purchased through a reseller in India.

#2) How can i get the license(s) at low cost?

There are several programs to help you get Microsoft development software for free or at lower cost.  Look into BizSpark (http://www.bizspark.com/) if you are a startup, or WebsiteSpark (http://www.microsoft.com/web/websitespark/) if you want to reconsider building web software.  Both provide free MSDN subscriptions and a rich set of supporting resources for qualified companies.  Note: WebsiteSpark does not include LightSwitch.

If you do not qualify for those, I suggest looking into the Microsoft Partner Network (https://partner.microsoft.com/global/partner).  You may be eligible to enroll and purchase a Microsoft Action Pack Development and Design subscription.  Plus you get other benefits of being a partner, such as training and resources for selling yourself.

If all that fails, ask your reseller about purchasing under the Microsoft Open License Program.  Open License is a volume licensing program that allows you to purchase multiple Microsoft products at a discount.  You can qualify for as low as 5 licenses of any product sold through the program (not just Visual Studio -- you can stock up on other products to qualify for the minimum license purchase).

#3)

It is unlikely that your customers will need a license for Visual Studio (or LightSwitch), assuming that you are building and delivering a finished product.  Certain runtime components like the .NET Framework and Silverlight are freely distributable or available as a free download.

Of course, your customers will need a compatible version of Visual Studio (or LightSwitch) if you are giving them the source code to your application as part of your freelancing contract.  Your customers must acquire those licenses separately.  The only other (fringe) exception would be a case where you are writing a developer tool that fully integrates with Visual Studio Shell services, which could require your end-users to have Professional edition or higher.

SQL Server 2008 is a different product and has its own licensing and installation requirements.  See next question.

#4a) Can i use Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express, at the deployment site( my client)

You may freely distribute SQL Server 2008 Express with your software and you may install it at your deployment site.  Note that you may want to evaluate SQL Server 2012, which also has a freely distributable edition with many new features over 2008.

#4b) or if my clients need to procure a license for Data base, then what version of SQL Server 2008 whould be cheaper?

It is not cost but rather functionality that will determine whether your customers need a licensed copy of SQL Server beyond the free editions.  Each edition has different capabilities and during your development you will need to decide which capabilities to use.  For example, the free editions do not support full-text and semantic searches.  If you happen to require full-text search, then at a minimum you will need to target the Standard edition (or code your application to fall back to basic functionality), and in turn your customers will need to own the equivalent or higher licenses.  Go here for research and comparisons:

If Express is insufficient for your application, then Standard is good for the vast majority of small/medium applications. 

#5) What is MSDN subscription is all about? Do i really need to subscribe to MSDN to be able to sell my products?

An MSDN Subscription provides access to a massive range of Microsoft products as well as resources such as e-learning, professional technical support, Azure promos, and other benefits.  You do not need a subscription to sell your products, but a subscription is cost-effective way to develop and test against the full Microsoft platform. Go here for a comparison of different options:

However, due to regional restrictions you must purchase your subscription from a reseller in India as noted above.

Good luck!

Friday, May 25, 2012 6:06 AM