none
Building Web Front-End for an back-end Excel model RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Office Experts,

I have a complicated Excel spreadsheet which I want to build a Web based front-end for, in order to:

1) Avoid users downloaded the whole Excel file

2) Hide formulas and raw data from users

3) Allow users to get the results generated by the Excel model

4) Expert reports (and maybe Word file) generated by the Excel model

Can this be achieved? And if so, how do I get started? (I have some knowledge about building web applications, however I have no experience Office API)

Also I am concern whether this solution can run on a cloud server, or directly connecting to Office 365's cloud, or a dedicated server will be needed?

Many thanks

GC

Saturday, July 4, 2015 8:29 PM

Answers

• Hi GC,

According to the descripion, you want to build a Web based front-end based on the data in the sreadsheets. Since the Office automation is not recommend on the server side, you can use Open XML to get the data from spreadsheets and general the Word document.

Here is an some helpful link for you get started Open XML:

Welcome to the Open XML SDK 2.5 for Office

>>Also I am concern whether this solution can run on a cloud server, or directly connecting to Office 365's cloud, or a dedicated server will be needed?<<

Did mean that the Office document store on the Office 365 colud? If I understood correctly, we can use file REST API to download the file and get the data from the document via Open XML SDK. The sever only needs is t publish the web application, there is no nessary for other servers.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Monday, July 6, 2015 7:27 AM
  • Hi GC12345,

>>What I need is for the backend Excel Workbook to perform calculations, and it is maintained by business users with no programming knowledge<<

The Excel do provide the calculate feature, we can automate the Excel to perform the calculate operation or create add-in to peform the custom calculations for the end-users.

If I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:38 AM

All replies

• I suppose, as a back-end, usually some DBMS is used, instead of Excel. DBMS can provide such  features as multi-user access, exclusive access control, etc. Excel does not be recommended to run on a server.
    • Edited by Ashidacchi Sunday, July 5, 2015 11:19 PM
    Sunday, July 5, 2015 5:55 PM
  • Hi GC,

According to the descripion, you want to build a Web based front-end based on the data in the sreadsheets. Since the Office automation is not recommend on the server side, you can use Open XML to get the data from spreadsheets and general the Word document.

Here is an some helpful link for you get started Open XML:

Welcome to the Open XML SDK 2.5 for Office

>>Also I am concern whether this solution can run on a cloud server, or directly connecting to Office 365's cloud, or a dedicated server will be needed?<<

Did mean that the Office document store on the Office 365 colud? If I understood correctly, we can use file REST API to download the file and get the data from the document via Open XML SDK. The sever only needs is t publish the web application, there is no nessary for other servers.

Regards & Fei

Monday, July 6, 2015 7:27 AM
  • I am not concerned about getting data from Excel workbook, and I know how to connect to a database

What I need is for the backend Excel Workbook to perform calculations, and it is maintained by business users with no programming knowledge

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 12:16 AM
  • Hi GC12345,

>>What I need is for the backend Excel Workbook to perform calculations, and it is maintained by business users with no programming knowledge<<

The Excel do provide the calculate feature, we can automate the Excel to perform the calculate operation or create add-in to peform the custom calculations for the end-users.

If I misunderstood, please feel free to let me know.

Regards & Fei

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 3:38 AM