Using Power Query annoying RRS feed

• General discussion

•  I loaded a ton of data in with power query. When I want to change the format, for example, it makes me go back to power query and it takes forever to reload data for one change. If it were in a data table it would take two seconds. This is dumb and sort of negates usefullness of power query. 
    • Changed type Darren GosbellMVP Thursday, November 17, 2016 4:07 AM This is a statement no actual question was asked
    Wednesday, November 16, 2016 9:49 PM

All replies

• Hi AlexMartini,

In the data table, it still has a ton of data? Do you change data type in Power Query, right?

Power Query will help transform your data into a format that is ready for pivot tables, reports, and so much more. It makes common data tasks easy. For example, unpivot data for pivot tables, combine tables, create custom function and so on. Power query is free add-in from excel. You can operate your date in excel if there is a small amount  data.

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 21, 2016 1:54 AM
  • Hi Angela. Yes, but what I'm saying is that AFTER I load the data from power query into power pivot any tweak on the data requires me to go back into power query AND then wait for everything to upload and refresh which takes a VERY long time because I have millions of rows. 
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 8:06 AM
  • Hi AlexMartini,

As I tested, there is no need to upload everything when I make changes on PowerPivot window. From what I know, taking long time is not caused by Power Query, because the number of data is large. For what you said: it were in a data table it would take two seconds. The data used also have millions of rows?

Best Regards,
    Angelia

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 9:23 AM
  • Wednesday, November 23, 2016 11:40 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Imke. I read the article but not sure I understand it. Let me give more background. 

I can take HUGE CSV files and upload them into power pivot directly. If I want to change, let's say the format of a column, it takes 1 second. HOWEVER, if I use power query to grab from a database (or a CSV file) I have to change the format in power query. Then when I want to refresh it to power pivot it takes like 5 minutes to load. 

How does the filter you mention help with this? 

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 7:25 PM
  • Sorry, this doesn't work with csv - only with queries that fold back to the source.

As a workaround you could create a "design-csv-file" that has the same column layout and data structure like your original one (just copy the first rows) and either

1) rename the source-files, so that the query now references the short one, as long as you're designing your query or

2) change the source of your query as long as you are in design-mode to the name of the short csv

Imke Feldmann TheBIccountant.com

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 7:46 PM
    Answerer