none
Having trouble with debugging drivers on visual studio 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Whats really wrong with debugging a driver with visual studio 2015 with windows 10 sdk

I have created a simple driver and has no errors and when you try to debug it ask for the target device and my target device is the localhost(127.0.0.1)

it keeps giving an error 10061 that the target machine refused connection localhost really?

second option I try to build the driver in release mode and no inf file is generated

thirdly I downloaded windows driver sample and I tried to I compiled msnmntr to release mode and I booted the computer by disabling the driver signature enforcement. I installed the driver msnmntr and tried to run by executing sc start msnmntr but it is blocked again and the driver signature is disabled. I rebooted again just to disable the driver signature enforcement but the driver is kept blocked and I don't know why. I made sure that its a release and set to x64 but nothing happens you will go back to the same error

does that mean the windows drivers sample wont work

I have created another simple wdf driver following this link https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/hh439665(v=vs.85).as . I followed all the instructions on that link.

My pc does not have secure boot

I compiled again the driver but its not working.

I installed the driver but when I try to start the service the driver will be not installed

I redownloaded the win 10 sdk and reinstalled but nothing has changed

Is it the os or Microsoft driver samples have errors

it is now frustrating

• Edited by davescxp Saturday, November 12, 2016 8:55 AM
    Saturday, November 12, 2016 8:49 AM

All replies

• >my target device is the localhost(127.0.0.1)

> it keeps giving an error 10061 that the target machine refused connection localhost really?

Really. One really does not want to debug a kernel driver on the same machine where the debugger runs. (Can you guess why?)

Read some documentation .

Regards,

-- pa

Saturday, November 12, 2016 12:44 PM
  • As Pavel tried to point out, the driver needs to be on a separate machine (virtual or physical) from the debugger.  The debugger has the ability to stop the whole system when a breakpoint is hit, of course if you stop everything on the machine the debugger no longer works either so there is no way to continue or do anything useful.

Don Burn Windows Driver Consulting Website: http://www.windrvr.com

Monday, November 14, 2016 4:55 PM