none
Office Add In works for Word 2010 but not Excel 2010 or PowerPoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an add in that runs successfully on all Word, Excel and PowerPoint 2013 and 2016. I also needed to support 2010. With 2010 the add in only works for Word but doesnt load with Excel or PowerPoint. It gives the error: Common Language Runtime could not be loaded which according to MSDN means that there is incompatibility of .NET framework. I dont understand how the same add in can run for Word 2010 but not Excel 2010 or PowerPoint 2010.

I am using Visual Studio 2015.
    Target framework: .NET 4.5 (Full)
    Runtime: Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime
    I have ensured that the framework is installed on the user machine.

Monday, December 28, 2015 11:30 AM

Answers

• Hi Furqan1992,

I suggest you check whether the installed folder in C:/ProgramFiles has the full permission. I suggest you login in as administrator and try to install it again.

As you have tested, for a work around, I suggest you install in other folders in C: instead of ProgramFiles.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Furqan1992 Wednesday, January 6, 2016 4:42 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2016 2:08 AM

All replies

• UPDATE:
    When the add in is installed in a directory other than C:/ProgramFiles, the add in loads successfully on PowerPoint and Excel. Still its not desirable that a user cannot install it in C drive. What could be the reason of this behavior?
    Monday, December 28, 2015 11:51 AM
  • You're asking this in the VSTO forum, but a VSTO add-in is application-specific. So my first reaction is that your add-in is not VSTO, but some other technology? Can you provide more information on the basic steps used in creating the add-in?

Cindy Meister, Office Developer/Word MVP, <a href="http://blogs.msmvps.com/wordmeister"> my blog</a>

Monday, December 28, 2015 5:08 PM
  • Hi Cindy,

Yes it is application specific. They are separate add ins performing similar functionality (for instance showing a certain form) on Word, Excel, PowerPoint. The installer for the add ins is however the same. So when a user installs (using InstallShieldWizard) all the three separate add ins are installed at once. The three add ins work perfectly on Office 2016 and Office 2013. With Office 2010 however only the Word Add In works. If I change the installation directory to a directory other than C then all the three Add Ins work.

I hope that clears the confusion. 

Monday, December 28, 2015 6:09 PM
  • Hi Furqan1992,

Did you get any error message while installing add ins or load add ins? Where it did not work?

I suggest you check whether add in installed correctly. If it did, I suggest you check whether this add in load correctly. Based on your description, it seems permission issue, I suggest you check whether you have full permission of this installing folder.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 2:24 AM
  • Hi Edward,

There was no error message. 

The issue occurs when I start Excel 2010 or PowerPoint 2010. First the add in would just not load. Then I set a environment variable 'vstosuppress' and was then able to see the error: Common Language Runtime could not be loaded.

I know this could be an issue of permissions but the point is that the Word Add In is installed in the same directory and folder as the PowerPoint and Excel ones. Why is there no issue of permissions for Word? 

There is one point though: In visual studio the solution consisting of all the three Add Ins, the Word Add In was set as the startup project. Even though I dont think that should matter but maybe that is why it is able to load and not the others...? (Still the same add ins work fine on Office 2013 and 2016 applications)

Regards,

Furqan

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 3:45 AM
  • Hi Furqan1992,

Did this issue happen in all the Office 2010 pcs? I suggest you try in other pcs with Office 2010.

I suggest you do as below to try to narrow down this issue.
    1. Create independent project for excel, and install this project with InstallShieldWizard to check whether this issue still exist
    2. Install this independent project with ClickOnce.
    3. install in other folder in C drive like C:/

Best Regards,

Edward

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 5:58 AM
  • Hi Edward,

I tested it on two systems and the issue existed on both of them.

I jumped to option 3 as it was the quickest to check and that worked. 

Even if option 1 works that is not a viable option as I would really prefer not to give my client multiple installers. 

Option 2 is probably a complicated approach...I am not an expert in developing .NET applications.

So from result of option 3 there is an issue of permissions in program files it seems. What can I do to fix it?

Regards,

Furqan 

Thursday, December 31, 2015 5:01 AM
  • Hi Furqan,

Could you reproduce that issue with the new projects? You may share the same projects on the OneDrive.

Regards

Starain

Friday, January 1, 2016 3:01 AM
  • Hi Starain,

Kindly clarify what you mean by new projects? 

Also, I cannot share those projects as they are my employer's property and they cant allow this. 

Regards,

Furqan 

Friday, January 1, 2016 5:55 AM
  • Hello Furqan,

First of all, make sure all the required prerequisites were included to the installer. Is the target .Net framework version installed on the PC? 

Also take a look at the Running Solutions in Different Versions of Microsoft Office which explains how to support multiple Office versions. 

Friday, January 1, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Hi Furqan1992,

I suggest you check whether the installed folder in C:/ProgramFiles has the full permission. I suggest you login in as administrator and try to install it again.

As you have tested, for a work around, I suggest you install in other folders in C: instead of ProgramFiles.

Best Regards,

Edward

• Marked as answer by Furqan1992 Wednesday, January 6, 2016 4:42 AM
    Monday, January 4, 2016 2:08 AM